1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dallas-fort worth - precursor to merger?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Sep 9, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

why don't they just merge?

from the star-telegram:

>>>Star-Telegram and Dallas Morning News reach deal on delivery
    In a move to cut costs and improve operating efficiencies, the Star-Telegram and The Dallas Morning News have reached a deal to help distribute each other’s newspapers, the two companies announced Friday.

The distribution partnership calls for the Star-Telegram to deliver about 20,000 copies of The Dallas Morning News in Tarrant, Parker, Hood and Johnson counties, and The Dallas Morning News to deliver about 7,000 copies of the Star-Telegram in Dallas, Cook, Ellis and Denton counties.<<<

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I really don't think this is all that odd. It's kind of like an very limited and informal JOA.

Anything that takes more trucks off the road and uses less gas, I'm all for it.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

They do this in Chicago too, with the Trib and Sun-Times. I don't know how broad the reach is, but I know it's done.

If the S-T and DMN ever merged, it would be a tragedy for the entire Metroplex. Each paper has its own strengths, and the sports coverage is still quite good.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seems like the DMN is getting a better deal there.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Can I get the Times-Herald delivered as well? :D

6. Skip will even deliver it to you.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Papers all over the country share distribution.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not necessarily... the 7000 could be spread out and the 20000 clumped.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Back when I was able to afford subscribing to FT, you had to call the DMN if you had a delivery issue. I think the DMN distributes the FT, NYT, USA Today, IBD and the WSJ too in its area.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm guessing those who drove those trucks might not agree with your assessment.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know to what extent it still might exist, but I think there used to some fairly decent ill will between the two. If I'm not mistaken, the Star-Telegram used to have a policy where it referred to the Metroplex as FWD and not the other way around.

Draft saved Draft deleted