1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daley won't run for re-election (Chicago)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In what looks like a pretty sloppy process, a coalition of African-American leaders has settled on a "consensus candidate."

Former Senator Carol Moseley Braun and State Senator/Reverand James Meeks are unimpressed and plan to run anyway.

It's looking more and more like it's Rahm's race to lose.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Rahm is off the ballot:

http://www.suntimes.com/3469419-418/emanuel-appellate-ballot-court-mayor.html

What a mess.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I mean, what a shame... :D

4. Mizzougrad96

Upon further reflection...

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Looks like Rahm forgot to pay off a couple of judges.

6. Mizzougrad96

Who are we kidding? This will be overturned.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Does he get his old job back?

8. YankeeFan

My thoughts:

1. By the letter of the law, I think the court ruled correctly.

2. I never thought the court would rule this way.

3. I think it's unlikely it will be overturned on appeal.

4. As much as I'm not a fan of Rahm, I think he's by far the most competent candidate we had.

5. This is a disaster.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Reading the story it seems like a pretty cut-and-dried decision. He doesn't meet the residency standards so he's not eligible.

And the fact that his mouthpiece didn't dispute that but instead chose to ask the court to change the rules so he could run wouldn't seem to help ol' Rahm's case on appeal.

No way this gets overturned unless more than half the Illinois Supreme Court is in the bag. The appeal doesn't appear to have any legal justification.

10. YankeeFan

As much as anywhere, racial politics plays a huge role here.

We were basically down to one white, one hispanic, and one African-American candidate.

Rahm was was in the lead. In the non-partisan election, he looked like he may have been able to capture 50% + 1, and avoided a runoff.

I've got to think that most of his support will go to Gery Chico just because Carol Moseley Braun is such a disaster.

It's also got to bring down turnout.

I also think it could get pretty ugly/divisive.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Will Jay Cutler jump in the race?

12. YankeeFan

Ha. Unlikely.

What is fucked up though, is that it's too late for anyone too get on the ballot.

Rahm had such overwhelming name recognition and fundraising potential that a lot of folks stayed on the sidelines. Now, he's out and they can't get it.

Total disaster.

Chicago is a great City, but we needed someone new in City Hall. Rahm was strong enough to get things done. I have no confidence in the candidates left on the ballot.

Draft saved Draft deleted