1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daley won't run for re-election (Chicago)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did I really have to use the blue font?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My fault.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is a real question, not snark (well, almost not snark). Has there EVER been a Mayor of Chicago who didn't have members of his administration go to jail?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Jane Byrne?

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Only if it's not going to snow.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Good call. It's amazing that between 1955 and now, Daley and his old man are the longest tenure mayors in Chicago, even with Byrne, Harold Washington, Mike Bilandic, and Eugene Sawyer sandwiched between them.

Yankee Fan is spot on about the Republicans in Chicago. The last time a Republican was mayor, it was Big Bill Thompson (1927-1931).

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

What an opportunity for Obama. He can't even think about getting his fortunes turned around until he gets Emanuel the hell out of the White House. Here's his chance.

9. YankeeFan

The only name I've heard mentioned that interests me is Patrick Collins.

http://www.perkinscoie.com/pcollins/

He's a former Assistant US Attorney. He prosecuted a bunch of corruption cases.

I have no idea what his politics are, but maybe the Republicans could talk him into running under their banner.

Trib columnist John Kass promotes him in his column:

10. YankeeFan

I thought you were going to suggest that Obama run for Mayor.

Might be a better job than having to deal with a Republican Congress.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

While I'd love to see a Republican win this seat (in this environment it's totally possible, and I'd love to see how Chicago would run under one), I agree with the majority on the board. Who the heck would run?

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Oh, John Kass, you're so cute. Chicago is not going to elect a mayor based on cleaning up the town. Not when it would mean the loss of a lot of city jobs -- basically, gutting the city's middle class. (City workers, including teachers, are required to live in thei Chicago city limits.) The upset over corruption is not necessarily that people are offended by corruption, but that they're not getting their share of it. Part of the reason deposed Cook County Board president Todd Stroger was so disliked was that his graft generally benefited mostly blacks -- even Old Man Daley, a purported participant in a race riot as a youth, knew you had to appease blacks and individual ethnic groups to keep your power base.

Whatever Republicans are left wouldn't be any better. Big Bill Thompson was as dirty as they came. Illinois' last Republican governor is sitting in jail. (I guess you could always say, "Illinois' last ____ governor is sitting in jail.")

Draft saved Draft deleted