1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dale Murphy and the HoF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 16, 2010.

?

If there were no steroids - would Dale Murphy be in the Hall of Fame? Please give reasons for your a

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. No - but it would have been close

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. No - never had a chance anyway

22 vote(s)
    39.3%
  4. Mini Ditka

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

BTW, speaking of Brett Butler, that was a guy who had very religious beliefs as well but could not have been nicer or more helpful to female reporters. Although he didn't think they belonged in the locker room, he would willingly come out and do one-on-ones in the dugout anytime you asked someone to go in and get him. He understood that because of his and doofus Dale's beliefs, the Braves had the locker room closed to women but he didn't want to make it difficult for you to do your job so he happily obliged. Dale did not.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

So, uh, you want me to assume that steroids would have made Murphy into a Hall of Fame player? For every Barry Bonds, there is another guy who dealt with injuries resulting from steroids, so I don't think it's a given that he would have X amount more of home runs each year. And I don't think jumping to 47 home runs in your age 28 season is an unreasonable jump, since most players peak (somewhere) in the range of 28 to 32. Was Roger Maris juicing? He had a big jump in home runs one year too.

3. No I don't want you to assume anything. That's the point. Bonds defenders always assume he was a Hall of Fame player without steroids but that's a huge assumption. He easily could have been Dale Murphy.

That's what makes it all so insidious.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

He was a Mormon, isn't that pretty much all you need to know regarding his views of women.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Saying that Dale is a one-woman type of guy wouldn't be considered a stretch.

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

This is how I feel about both Dale Murphy and Andre Dawson. When I was a kid, my family didn't get cable until the early 1980s. We lived in somewhat of a rural area and it was a pretty lousy cable system, even by that era's standards. But we did have WGN and "the Superstation," WTBS. The Cubs and Braves were on every day (as were the Atlanta Hawks!).

A stat head at work was making the case against Andre Dawson and for Tim Raines the other day, touting OBP over home runs and how people are too influenced by HRs, blah, blah, blah. But I said, everybody in America watched half of Dawson's career nearly everyday, a big reason why he was famous.

I feel the same way about Murphy. The only difference might be, the Braves were so bad back then.

7. If Don Mattingly took steroids would he have been able to make the Hall of Fame? Was a Mattingly off steroids a greater player than a McGwire off steroids? Will Clark always out shown Rafael Palmeiro (college and pros) until Palmeiro started taking steroids. I say these things to the people who still think McGwire (and any other steroids cheaters) belongs in the Hall of Fame.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I almost wish they would require everyone from the steroid era to wait 10 years total before they're eligible. In the meantime, we can vote on the people who didn't cheat.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Why do we know that Mattingly and Clark were clean?

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Nobody seems to have these ethical problems with greenies and the 1960s. Just sayin'.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

If Mattingly had taken steroids he would've been able to recover from his back injuries, no?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe steroids contributed to Mattingly's back injuries.

Draft saved Draft deleted