1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dale Murphy and the HoF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 16, 2010.

?

If there were no steroids - would Dale Murphy be in the Hall of Fame? Please give reasons for your a

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. No - but it would have been close

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. No - never had a chance anyway

22 vote(s)
    39.3%
  4. Mini Ditka

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I do. I live in a motel.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The days of the Vets Committee taking care of their friends are over.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

True story: Bob Horner used to babysit me when I was young. He knew of my love of sports when I was 7, and cutting out ASU box scores to put in my scrapbook. Much later, Bob tried to facilitate a conversation between me and Dale Murphy. He wanted nothing to do with it -- not only did he believe women should not be covering sports (presumably men's sports, but I don't know), he didn't think they belonged around the game working for teams or in a medical capacity. I assume he thought it OK if they were fans, but not sure on that either.
    I often wonder how Murphy's daughters turned out. Did they rebel against his thinking? Do they work outside of the home? Lord, I hope one became a sports journalist, or at least a doctor who operates on men and tries very hard not to look at their junk. ::)

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

At one point, I'm pretty sure his kid count was up to 8. One I think was special needs, mostly boys if I recall. The aforementioned Dolphins offensive lineman. Not sure how many daughters he has.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I wonder what he'd think of the Women in Baseball exhibit at Cooperstown?
    I'm a great believer in people changing and evolving. I sure hope Murphy has. But yes, if his numbers were better and he had a few more great years, he'd get my vote.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If you made him a nice bundt cake and brought him his slippers, you and him would be cool.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Especially is she was with child and was barefoot.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't mean a damn thing about anything, but Murphy was my favorite Brave too while growing up in Atlanta in his heyday, and I was very underwhelmed when I met him before a game during a team meet-and-greet (the Braves sucked so bad that they could do such things on the field and only have 100 or so fans show up). Wasn't a mean guy, just had a wet-noodle handshake and didn't make small talk like the no-name players. 25 years ago and I remember it like it was this morning.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Eight kids. Seven sons, one daughter.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Those were great days at old Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. Loved the sound of a thrown ball hitting a bat. CAAAAARRRRRRAAAACCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!!

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Surprised no one's mentioned his fame being further spread by WTBS, because Murphy and Horner (when he was healthy) were the only reasons to watch the Braves in those days. Steroids weren't the factor then they are now, so that question is moot. Still, it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Really Good ... line forms behind the Podunk High JV, Mfr. Murphy.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Dale Murphy is example No. 58,595 of confusion surrounding just what membership requirements to the baseball HOF should be. If they are solely stats-based, particularly career-stat based, then maybe a computer should pick the members.

I think the Hall of Fame should blend stats with, for lack of a better descriptor, impact. Which, IMO, puts Dale Murphy in the Hall of Fame. It might be hard to believe for Midwesterners, Yankees, Californians and the like to comprehend, but for nearly a decade one man was the embodiment of baseball for about a quarter of the country. Without Dale Murphy, interest in Major League Baseball in the South would have been negligible.

And for that, the two-time MVP belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted