1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dale Murphy and the HoF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 16, 2010.

?

If there were no steroids - would Dale Murphy be in the Hall of Fame? Please give reasons for your a

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. No - but it would have been close

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. No - never had a chance anyway

22 vote(s)
    39.3%
  4. Mini Ditka

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You and Murphy had a different viewpoint on what at the time was a controversial subject. Doesn't make him "not a nice guy" because your job and his beliefs were at odds. And it certainly doesn't make him a phony, since it was pretty consistent with the old-fashioned, deeply religious beliefs he held.

Sometimes people need to forget about trying to judge people's character on "how easy or difficult they make it for me to do my job."

I understand the frustration of those times. But unless you can come up with someone OTHER THAN a female sportswriter who was ever treated questionably by Murphy, I think the body of his work throughout his life qualifies for Nice Guy Hall of Fame.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Controversy or not, discriminating against half the population -- his religious views are quite irrelevant, IMO; old-fashioned gives you no license to be a bigot -- does seem to push his qualifications down a bit.

"Someone OTHER THAN a female sportswriter." That's rich, especially on this site.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He discriminated against 0.000004% of the population --- those he was uncomfortable having in the locker room.

I'd say the good works he has done for thousands of other girls and women (and boys and men) tilt the balance in his favor.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I am speaking from personal experience. And trust me, it wasn't just about the locker room. He was an ass outside of the locker room and a sexist to boot. Even when people played by "his rules," and did the interviews outside the locker room, etc., he was nasty to them.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

What about Bob Horner? Granted they were the only two legit major leaguers in the Braves lineup for a long time, but Horner offered Murphy some protection.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Magic beat me to it. I lost all respect for Murphy when I saw his reaction to and treatment of female reporters in the locker room.
    And his career was in no way Hall of Fame worthy.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I had no idea until earlier this season that the offensive lineman from the Dolphins was his son.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Dale Murphy falls into the category I've spoken of, where players had noteworthy careers but don't qualify for the Hall.
    No Hall for Murphy.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Either put Murphy in the HoF or kick Gary Carter out.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Carter shouldn't be there either.
    Lord, no!

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, stump, it was more than that. It was his attitude that women not only didn't belong in the lockerroom, they had no right being sportswriters or thining they could cover the game of baseball.
    I remember a day at Shea when he wanted the Braves PR people to keep the clubhouse closed post-game because there were female reporters present and the next day he refused to even speak to one of them in the dugout before the game. Told her "you don't belong here."

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Maybe not a bad guy, but it's probably a good reason to keep him out of the Nice Guy Hall of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted