1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dale Jr. to Hendrick Motorsports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Willie-Butch, Jun 12, 2007.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Correct.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Who was Labonte with when he won his first championship? I don't remember what number he had in the mid 80s. He went through that decline period in the late 80s/early 90s when he was driving the Skoal No. 1, then came back nicely with Hendrick.

3. lono

lono Active Member

Billy Hagan, IIRC.

4. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Plus Bud and Hendrick have a long partnership with the #25.

Ken Schrader and Ricky Craven. Tim Richmond perhaps, but think he was Folgers?

5. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Richmond was Folgers, I believe.

On another note, what do you think the backlash from the Earnhardt Army when Jr. blows his first engine in a Hendrick car???

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yep. Folgers also sponsored Schrader his first couple years at Hendrick, then two or three years with Kodiak colors before Bud came in.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Thought I read that Visa was going to Junior's sponsor wherever he went. Something along the lines of a 5-year, $100-million deal. I thought I saw it in SI, but I know I saw it somewhere.

8. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

So if Gordo beats Jr at Talladega under caution...will they still shower the track with debris?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hagan according to Wikipedia...

He won his second career race in 1983 in the Budweiser Chevrolet. His team received sponsorship from Piedmont Airlines the following season, and he won races at Riverside International Raceway and Bristol Motor Speedway, clinching his first Winston Cup championship.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see all of the Earnhardt fans kvetching over having to root for a Hendrick driver.

This will be almost as juicy as the wretching when Petty left Plymouth -- which I was too young to witness.

11. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

I'm actually amused at that commerical that was out a few years ago - the one of Dale Junior fans having all kinds of merchandise and even tattoos of the #8....will be coming true in about 4-5 months time.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Marty Smith says talks are going on that *could* lead to it happening this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted