1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daisuke Matsuzaka alert (he threw five no-hit innings Monday)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Re: Daisuke Matsuzaka alert (he threw five no-hit innings today)

Not to threadjack the apparent threadjacking here, but did anyone else see the throw Josh Hamilton made in the ninth inning to nail some red sox minor leaguer going for two?

It seems like the Reds are going to need to find a spot for this guy to play. But I'm guessing that will come when Junior Griffey gets his disabling injury sometime around May.

I'll go fetch your beers now.

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Re: Daisuke Matsuzaka alert (he threw five no-hit innings today)

There's definitely something very American about the Hamilton story. Self-destructive behavior leads to near-self-destruction, followed by redemption on our most national stage. Oh, and he can freakin' play ball, too.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

RHCP --

That was a pea. And the Reds need at least four outfielders. I bet he makes opening day.

As for Matzsuzaka, I'm convinced. My big question was the fastball, but he was consistently in the mid-90's today. More than good enough if he has the control everyone swears he does.

And fantasy-wise, you have to like the fact that he's a complete unknown on his first trip around the league, when pitchers can be way ahead of hitters. I'm hoping for a big start from him.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

He has to make the roster as a Rule 5 guy and he will. The Reds have invested a lot of time and effort into him and he's become a great story for the club. Especially, Jerry Narron, whose brother, John, now a Reds video guy, who's known Hamilton since youth ball and was his advisor when he was drafted. I think they plan to move him into center field before this is over, which is probably the main reason Griffey was shifted to right field.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

nah, i think they were trying to get griffey to right before hamilton showed up on the scene

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't Griffey moved to right so that Ryan Freel could play everyday? The idea being that he's a better CF now?

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

pretty much

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't think Ryan Freel is a good enough everyday alternative to Griffey in center. He's a nice player to have as a defensive guy who can get on base and run the bases but I just don't see him as an everyday center fielder on the big-league level. Let me know if he ever gets 30 RBIs in a season. Hamilton, on the other hand, is a potential stud. Maybe Griffey finally gets traded this season if he's healthy come July.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

how many gyroballs did he throw?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The only problem with Freel as an every-day player is he can't stay healthy enough to be out there every day. He is a lead-off hitter in the National League, so his RBI totals are going to be low. Injuries have also held them down.

Freel's on-base percentage over the last three seasons is .367, including .363 last year. Juan Pierre's OBP over the last three years is .351, including .330 last season. Freel also has more power than Pierre and though he doesn't steal as many bases, he also doesn't get caught nearly as much.

I'm not a huge Pierre fan, but the Marlins did win a World Series with him playing center field and he was an important part of that team. And the only thing he has on Freel is durability.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Has anyone actually seen him throw gyroballs during spring training? And how do they know?

12. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

There have been a couple batters claim he's thrown it...say it looks like a split-change.

Draft saved Draft deleted