1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daisuke Matsuzaka alert (he threw five no-hit innings Monday)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Mar 26, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Re: Daisuke Matsuzaka alert

Fine argument if the Red Sox were the reigning champs and warranted greater coverage than someone else.

But there are lots of people who will watch what ESPN shows, simply because there's nothing else. It's not like ESPN gives us regular folks a choice of who we want to see. So either three Red Sox broadcasts or nothing, huh?

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Cleveland has cable? Who knew?

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

are we suggesting that they are trying to hurt ratings? or that they don't care about them? can't we assume that they put the sox, yanks and a few others on more than anyone else because they get the best ratings?

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No argument there, because the WWL is going to do whatever is best for its bottom line.

But, this is more of a beef with ESPN than anything else, I take issue with the fact that because of the WWL's concern over bottom line, I get stuck with having to watch the same team about a billion times in the course of the season.

I'm simply suggesting that there are other teams in the MLB besides the Yanks and Sox.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If it's Dice-K or NFL Live, I'll take Dice-K any day.

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

End of thread.

(Sorry, carry on, just had to do it)

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No-hitter through four.

Something tells me he won't be around to finish it...

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Using that rationale, the Cowboys would have 16 MNF games each season. I know what you mean, but usually WWL waits until the regular season to go into Yanks-Sox mode, giving us a potpourri in spring training.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thank you Oz. Much better said than my posts.

10. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Obviously, the interest in Daisuke changes things. But what should be the rationale? Should they divvy up the games so that each team gets the exact same number of games over the course of the season?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not suggesting that, either. Apportion the coverage based on fan demand, ratings numbers, who's winning or in contention and compelling news stories.

No one is suggesting that DM isn't newsworthy, but newsworthy to the exclusion of all other players or compelling stories?

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Dice-K has a no-hitter with six strikeouts and five walks through five innings, but the game is tied 0-0 with the Reds' Bobby Livingston pitching a one-hitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted