1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily Southtown no longer covering pro sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Chi City 81, Oct 9, 2007.

1. This is the future for most medium-sized and smaller papers. Papers will buy coverage from bigger papers to cut back on travel and staffing costs.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is Bill Gleason still alive? If not, he's spinning in his grave.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hope so. Haven't seen an obit. Please correct, if wrong.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, you never know with those guys who chain-smoke cigars. Just sayin'.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The next thread started on the Daily Southtown will involve layoffs. Expect it soon...

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yep. Very soon.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think he's still around, but I can't find anything on Google past 2004. I'm pretty sure I would've heard if he'd passed though.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Word is they plan to lay off 15-25 people in the newsroom, including some in sports; they have not yet, however, figured out whom to "separate."

9. Mike Nadel

Mike Nadel Member

"thats a fact jack" is the worst kind of critic, hiding behind anonymity to trash an entire group of people.

So really, all sports employees at the Southtown - be they writers or deskers - are jerks who deserve to be reassigned or laid off? That's wonderful. I know a good many of these people and most are fine, hard-working journalists who have given their lives to this business of ours. Some are less so, which sounds like life at pretty much any newspaper (or any job) in the country.

I wouldn't call "thats a fact" bitter. I'd call him callous and classless, all but dancing on the graves of colleagues in this profession.

He also might find out that payback is a b---- one day.

By the way, I do not now nor have I ever worked at the Southtown.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re the other thread on Warren Buffett's speech on newspapers, as applies here: STNG killed the Star newspapers by making them nothing more than reheated Southtown issues, so what was the point of reading? Now it's killing Southtown sports by making it nothing more than reheated S-T sections, so what's the point of reading? And while the Southtown has some good people in high school sports -- Tony Baranek is as passionate and hardworking as you'll find -- I don't think anybody suspects the Southtown will devote the resources it saves in sports travel and pro coverage and spend them on preps. It's sad to watch.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

You'll have to excuse me for not joining in your classless, callous celebration. Like Mike Nadel, I know a bunch of people at the Southtown and overall, they're a good bunch. Good people, good writers. Some are better than others. The fact that you would attack them now says a lot about you.

12. The Basement

The Basement Member

plus, these are sports writers. not news, or design. ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted