1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily Southtown layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by espnguy, Nov 10, 2007.

1. espnguy

espnguy Member

This just in:

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2007/11/09/news/illiana/doc674e8f105c7218f98625738e00015632.txt

Geezus, 20 fulltimers and 11 part-timers .... that's 20 percent of the staff (combined Southtown and Star)!!!!!!

It wasn't enough for Connie Black and Hollinger to plunder the cookie jar. Now this.

Anyone know if any cuts were in sports?

2. rascalface

rascalface Member

Wait, they're getting rid of 20 full-timers and 11 part-timers and it's going to save them $3 million annually? No wonder they were losing money. Must have been paying stringers $15,000 for high school football stories.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I heard Paul Ladewski took the buyout offer.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

at least one person predicted layoffs on the thread about The Star and the Daily Southtown merging.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'll try to find something out. I haven't really paid attention lately.

6. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

What I dont get is how its going to save them 3 million a year...

anyone can do that math, not taking in to account full time and part time positions, its an average of over $96,000 a year per person.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, it does seem high anyway, but cost per employee isn't just salary. There's also insurance, other benefits, things like that.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Those 31 people should cancel their subscriptions. That'll show the paper.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it was the thread where they announced that they weren't going to cover pro sports anymore...

It's sad... It's not surprising, but it's sad...

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'll likely have sports numbers tomorrow.

11. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

that makes sense...but with 11 part times I gotta think they are exaggerating their numbers some to make it look a little better..

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes, and Sun Times stock -- which I've been tracking for some time after reading a story in Smart Money about it -- is trading at a healthy $1.80 a share. It's down more than 40% since I've been watching it.

So this is doing wonders.

Draft saved Draft deleted