1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily Newspaper...eastern Nebraska

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Time2getonHere, May 7, 2008.

1. Time2getonHere

Time2getonHere New Member

Saw this one on journalismjobs...any positives? I wonder if it's really called "Daily Newspaper." And is it just me, or does it look bad when the contact person has a Yahoo e-mail instead of a newspaper e-mail? OK, here's the posting, from May 6:

Company: Daily newspaper
    Position: Sports reporter +
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: June 10, 2008
    Job ID: 639483

Description:
    A small Midwest daily is seeking a sports reporter who also has page design/editing skills and some photo abilities. We are a locally focused sports operation.

The succesful candidate will be a well-organized, self-starter who is broadly versed in all areas of prep sports coverage. On the page-design side, you will need Quark Xpress and Photoshop proficiency. A degree in journalism is desirable but not mandatory. Experience could be substituted.

The small city location of this position is ideal for its relaxed lifestyle. Larger cities are within easy reach.

This position could lead quickly to greater opportunities if you have the skills and ambition.

A reliable vehicle, insurance and valid driver's license are required as is a post-offer, prehire drug test.

An excellent benefits package includes vacation, medical, dental, 401(K) and more.
    Apply by e-mail to newshunt@yahoo.com with cover letter, resume and 3-4 work samples attached (PDFs are best). Regional candidates preferred.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Blind ads make me giggle.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Sports reporter +? Is that like a VCR +?

Anyway, daily papers in Eastern Nebraska (and I'll stretch the geography a bit, using Highway 81 as the dividing line):

Beatrice: Beatrice Daily Sun
    Columbus: Columbus Daily Telegraph
    Fremont: Fremont Tribune
    Lincoln: Lincoln Journal Star
    Nebraska City: Nebraska City News-Press
    Norfolk: Norfolk Daily News
    Omaha: Omaha World-Herald
    York: York News-Times

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Somebody gettin' fired.

5. jps

jps Active Member

Yes. Though I would be more turned off by the 20-25k pay, to be honest.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It ain't Lincoln or Omaha. Not at that pay.

7. Bears00

Bears00 Member

I would guess Beatrice or Nebraska City.

Draft saved Draft deleted