1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily newspaper coming to Detroit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Jun 11, 2009.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I didn't go to my usual gas station to buy my papers today because my kids have today off school. So, I stopped at a Kroger, a 7-Eleven and four gas stations in two cities, combined population about 95,000 - no luck. None of them sell the new paper.

If you're being skunked by that many places, that can't be a good sign. I asked the 7-Eleven clerk, and he gave me a blank look (real shocker there).

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

It could be they haven't found the key person at those companies that gives approval to sell papers in the local stores. We finally got our paper in Fred Meyer (owned by Kroger) recently and a couple of other big grocery chains. You call one person and that starts the "Oh, you need to talk to THIS person" joyride. Months later you're still trying to find the right person in corporate. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with this Detroit paper, because trying to track down the right person for approval can be time consuming, to say the least.

3. Peg McNichol

Peg McNichol Member

I've been getting mine at the nearest CVS.

4. WolvEagle

Peg - I'll try that. One hitch is that normally I'm on my way to work at 7 a.m. and CVS isn't open. I'll look, though.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The problem here is that people have said they found the paper in their local CVS or Walgreens, but then other people go to their local CVS and Walgreens and those stores don't have them.

6. Hank_Scorpio

A Crain's Detroit writer blogs on the first edition of the DDP.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/section/c?template=profile&uid=140106&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=140106&plckPostId=Blog%3a140106Post%3af2e25fc2-6d10-43f8-a33f-2f7dacfcb6a2&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

And an E & P article on some of the startup problems, which include barcode scanning issues at CVS.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1004047873

7. Peg McNichol

Peg McNichol Member

My local Speedway had Thanksgiving Day papers -- and no problem scanning the barcode.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I don't hate Rob at all. What I do hate is you acting like the rest of the people on this board are a bunch of boobs compared to your hero.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dude get a life, please. You are taking Rob Parker WAY too personal. That is boobism.
    Rob is a friend. Not a hero. A hero is a sandwich.

10. WolvEagle

Guys - I know y'all are going to turn on me for this, but if you keep arguing like this, this thread will be locked. For those of us who live and work in metro Detroit, this is a good thread. I don't want to see it locked because of a flame war. Some of you like Rob Parker. Some of you don't. That's all that needs to be said.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

AMEN!!!!!!

12. Hank_Scorpio

There's a new thread on this topic, but posting the news here too, in case people miss the new thread..

From the DDP's Facebook page:
    Due to circimstances beyond our control, lack of advertising, lateness of our press runs and lack of distribution and sales, we find it necessary to temporarily suspend publication of the Detroit Daily Press until after the 1st of the year. Once we can fix these things, we plan to be back stronger and more organized wh...en we return. This is just a bump in the road and not the end of the Detroit Daily Press.

Draft saved Draft deleted