1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily newspaper coming to Detroit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Jun 11, 2009.

1. David Panian

David Panian New Member

Here's who's in a photo of the sports staff that's posted on the DDP's Facebook page: Dave Holzman, Daved Cintron, James Briggs, Hawke Fracassa, Jason Pinter, Peg McNichol and Wendy Clem. It looks like the photo was posted Nov. 10.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good for Peg...

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Apparently they had someone at Dantonio's press conference last week.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Many know that I'm a Rob friend and I'm not going to defend his past, however, you can't take away that people will read what he has written, good or bad. Not many scribes on these threads can say the same thing.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is true. The only people who read my stuff are my mom and dad.

6. People will "read" the Trentonian for the page 6 girls too. That doesn't mean it brings any credibility to the organization.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rob on a bad day is a better read than the Trentonian. Not as good looking as the Page 6 girl, but definitely a better read.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. No, he isn't. Not by a long shot.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Slappy have you seen the Trentonian or read page 6? Regardless of how you may feel about Rob, his stuff on any given day is superior than the swill on that page.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You're not even in the same area code of being correct with that statement.

11. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

At first I was shocked when somebody said the sports staff would only be 7 or 8. But the more I think about it, maybe it's the right move. Hell every sports desk is getting slashed so why not just start out with a low number in the first place?

It will be interesting to follow the progress of this paper, especially when you consider everything it's up against -- a bad economy, an even worse time for newspapers, the Detroit market, etc. If they do even moderately well it will pump some much-needed optimism into all of us. I'm pulling for them because I'd like to see something good happen with a newspaper right about now.

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

They're loading this paper up with people who have taken buyouts or in Parker's case, "buyouts" from the Freep and News. My old boss is working there and says they've been putting the thing together for a month or so and no one has gotten a penny yet. Doesn't bode well, I'd say.

Draft saved Draft deleted