1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily newspaper coming to Detroit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Jun 11, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Publishing vets seek to start newspaper in Detroit..... they want to publish within 60 days.

http://www.miamiherald.com/business/nation/story/1089064.html

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Doomed. Sorry, that's not enough capital to start a business.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Agreed. I worked for a startup magazine fresh out of college. He had "three or four months" of capital.

After four months, he was generating revenue and subscribers, but not at a fast enough rate.

To this day, I believe if he had a year's worth of capital he'd have made a go of it.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I believe most business experts say you should have at least six months of capital, plus six months for your living expenses.

One to two months ain't gonna cut it.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Who said publishers had to be business guys? I bet they'll pay really great, or they'll lure reporters with free coffee and Tylenol instead of a health plan.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Presser Friday to reveal more... I used to work with the guy who will be the ME... good people...
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1004042313

7. So is the plan for daily home delivery? Because that is very frustrating right now, the inability to get any newspaper other than the New York Times delivered daily to my doorstep.

8. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

The question is, will they be doing things differently than all the other papers that are folding? Are they going to give away online content for free and slit their own wrists or will they have a new, working newspaper model that can swim in this current? It will be interesting to see.

(The link didn't work for me, said it was expired or something so I don't know if any of this was covered in that article).

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

besides the lack of reserve funding, i also question the 60 days. that's not enough time o get all your ducks in a row.

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

What do you think of Detroit as a market for something like this? Not the most affluent city around. Papers have struggled there (as well as everywhere else of course). I wonder why they settled on Detroit over all the other markets out there.

11. Because of the lack of daily delivery service, I'm assuming.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Oakland County, where the paper is based, is about as affluent as it gets.

Draft saved Draft deleted