1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily News: KSM Trial to be Moved out of NYC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Thank you. So we see there is precedent for venue change in terrorism trials.

2. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Most Americans can't be bothered with fighting in today's wars, paying more in taxes to finance them or even thinking about them on a regular basis. The least we can do is not act like a bunch of terrified babies when it comes to detaining and prosecuting terror suspects on U.S. soil.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If Schumer get his way, the trial won't be in Newburgh -- or anywhere in NYS.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No surprise there now that Shumer knows which way the wind is blowing.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Governor's Island has been banided about as a possible location. You don't have as many security concerns, you won't disrupt business and its still in the Southern District of New York, some of the best federal prosecutors around. Newburg still falls in that district, but I think it would be a small distraction to people there (although not on the level of NYC obviously).

The military base outside of Watertown is also a possibility, middle of nowhere, no security concerns, still in New York, don't have to waste taxdollars on security and is a good compromise between civilian trials that the dems want and the Hang 'em High military tribunals that the repubs want.

6. Boom_70

Watertown is an interesting idea except they better tighten up the border.

As far a Newburgh I am kind of turned off by the mayor looking at it as financial windfall for the city.

Once venue is chosen next hurdle will be Miranda rights or lack there of.

My early bet is that KSM gets off on technicality.

7. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

No place in the entire state of New York to hold a few terror trials? A complete embarrassment. Al Qaida must be laughing their asses off right now.

8. YankeeFan

Evan Bayh on FoxNews Sunday does not want to spend $200 Million per year to hold a KSM trial.

He didn't say it, but the criteria he laid out pretty much leaves Gitmo as the only likely setting for the trial.

Hmm, I wonder when he's up for re-election.

9. YankeeFan

Easy to say if you don't live or work in NYC.

Either we don't put in tough security & let become an easy terror target or you make it a fortress and disrupt the lives & businesses of New York.

Which would you choose?

The trial of the Blind Sheik was a security hassle. This would be 10 times worse.

10. Boom_70

What they are laughing at is the fact that we just did not put a bullet in the guys head by now.

11. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

I live in the same city that the Zacarias Moussaoui trial was held in, so fuck off with that 'you don't live here' bullshit. I live and work in the shadow of high-profile terror targets, and somehow I manage to get through most days without pissing in my pants or complaining about minor delays caused by security reasons.

Please explain how this trial is any more of a terror target than, say, the Empire State Building is on any given day? I think the logistics of holding this trial are getting blown way out of proportion by people worried about the political ramifications of this thing. NYC can do anything in the world -- except hold a terrorist's trial? Please. And heaven forbid people and businesses are disrupted in New York City. Heaven forbid.

12. Boom_70

Seriously you are clueless if you think this trial would only end up in "minor delays" .

When this really turned was when the real estate folks got involved and pointed out the millions that would be lost in real estate values for the area in question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.