1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily Herald problems in Chicago -- but head honchos are sharing the pain

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Apr 3, 2008.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13262

For those who don't care to read the full memo, sounds like Daily Herald in Chicago is doing the usual things to save newsprint and money (space cuts, bla bla bla)... but the Paddock CEOs and board are also foregoing their salary increases for this year and taking a five percent pay cut.

Hey, I know it's probably peanuts, but it's refreshing in this era of staff cutbacks and consolidation while CEO lives in a $10 million home.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So that furlough plan means that people will be required to take one unpaid day off in each quarter to save the company money?

Hell, I'd take a three-day weekend once a month (extra day off unpaid) if I thought it actually would save some jobs from our newsroom. But I sense that wouldn't satisfy the suits for long.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Except that day off will probably always be a Tuesday or Thursday.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I figured their problem was employing Mike Imrem to write sports columns.

5. And it probably really wouldn't be a day off.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Someone might actually end up working that day anyway, for free? If that's the case, Daily Herald ought to declare three or four "furlough days" per quarter. That would be shrewd management.

Draft saved Draft deleted