1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dad's stroke update

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Apr 28, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

a couple of SportsJournalists.com posters have asked for an update on my dad, who had a massive stroke march 28. so here goes:

dad is now getting therapy at a skilled nursing facility. he is paralyzed on the right side of his body and we have no clue what he is saying 90 percent of the time because it's just gibberish. things haven't been all rosy since he fell out of his bed one night (mom and i were not happy because they were supposed to have put an alarm on his bed) but he spoke his first complete, uncoached short sentence (albeit a little slurred) a couple of weeks ago and a few days ago while working with the speech therapist he was able to count to 10 and "sang" "happy birthday."

there's still a long road ahead but where dad is at now and where he was just a couple of weeks ago are miles apart! the progress is really slow but i'll take it.

thanks for the continued good thoughts.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Glad to hear things are heading in the right direction.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You and your family are in my thoughts.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

My continued good thoughts for you, your dad and the rest of your family.
    Cherish the time and the experiences.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

About 6 years ago, my dad went into the ER with a massive strep infection. All his organs were shutting down. He was in ICU for 3 weeks, then a skilled nursing facility, then rehab. He went in on April 11, and came home on July 31. He had to learn how to stand, walk, eat, hold a cup, brush his teeth, you name it all...all over again.

Today is he fully functioning. He can drive, he can climb the stairs...everything. Those people who are taking care of your dad, are very special people and all I can tell you is that my wish is that your father recovers as well as my dad. It can happen, but it just make take a while.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I hope things continue to get better.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

tx, prayers for y'all. My grandmother had a stroke last June. She didn't get quite as bad off as it sounds your dad got, but she's had a long road, too. Know what you're experiencing. Hope it continues to get better.

Draft saved Draft deleted