1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dad who beat up daughter's boyfriend: I would have dragged the kid behind my car

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

True. And true.

I guess I was just saying that I fear a heel in the back of my skull, and I'm 1,500 miles from you. Can't imagine being under the same roof. :D

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That might be the most awesome graph I've read by Moddy.

My daughter turns 6 later this month. I'm going to cherish this time of her life immensely.

3. Obviously you don't understand the need for child safety laws. She's 15 not 23. She is not of legal age to consent. It's the law. The boy should be in jail.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Actually, I really think it's awful that he could go to jail to having sex with his girlfriend, who's only two years younger. It's not like it's some 15 year old fucking a 25 year old. He's in her age group. It's complete bullshit that we can't accept that KIDS HAVE SEX.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Dude... a 2-year gap at that age is a big deal. Not so much when you are over 18.... even 21. Thats like a sophomore in high school. That's young. The Dad overreacted, but still... 15 and 17 year olds having sex is way different than two adults.

6. You have to set the limit somewhere and 16 is pretty damn reasonable. She was under that age and he was over it. There's a pretty good difference between 15 and 17. That's a sophomore and a senior.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I second that emotion.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yes, he should be in jail, but the dad should have realized that there are these things called courts and police departments and it's their job to enforce the law and determine the appropriate punishment. It's not up to him. That's why he should be put away for a very long time.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My first girlfriend's dad was a 6-foot-3, 285-pound police sergeant. His daughter was rarely in after curfew.

I am 14 months older than that woman, and we had sex for the first time four days after I turned 18. She was 16 and capable of making her own decisions. She wanted to wait a while, so we did. She called all the shots, sexually, for the first 14 months of our relationship -- as far as how fast we moved. And I'm sure she's not the exception.

Kids are a lot smarter and more mature than we give them credit for being most of the time. They're "older" than we were back at that age. In my opinion, they're facing a lot more temptations and at an earlier age than I ever did. No one ever offered me pot, acid, X, cocaine or heroin when I was going to high school. Now my old school is littered with dealers, some caught, some still selling. You want a drug, and the guy in the back of your study hall can probably hook you up by eighth period. That stuff wasn't around me then. And I'm only seven years removed from high school.

Not every 15-year-old kid is capable of making his or her own decisions, so maybe a blanket rule is "safer" for the mass, but I'm not sure that's fair for everyone. According to New York state laws, I committed statutory rape (I think) a couple dozen times in 2001. But would it be fair to throw a guy in a monogamous, 14-month relationship in prison?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

odd sidebar: the age of consent in canada for male on female and female on female is 14. the age of consent in canada for male on male is 18.

11. lono

lono Active Member

Barely Legal, Canuckistan-style

[​IMG]

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I love you and all but I cannot wait for you to have kids and see how fast your position (no pun intended) changes.

We supposed to say, "Sure, kids, head on upstairs and boink your hearts out! I'll call you when dinner is ready!"

Physically mature and mentally mature are two different animals.
    "Their sex life is none of your business," a friend said to me once.
    "She gets pregnant, who has to deal with it?" I asked.
    "Why you."
    "Exactly, you stupid fuck. So it is MY business."

My kids are 24 and 21 (22 in two weeks!) now. Live on their own. Pay their freight (most of it). It is no longer my business. At 15, it damn sure was my business.

Draft saved Draft deleted