1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dad tries unique punishment for vandalizing son

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 17, 2008.

1. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

The kid is in high school, for Christ's sake. Is the dad supposed to walk him to the bus stop, change his boxer shorts and wipe his ass too?

I understand your point about the dad taking some responsibility. But I don't agree with the question posed above. At some point, you've got to let kids go out on their own. If they mess up, there are consequences and they have to learn from those consequences.

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

It's a perfectly legitimate question. I re-read the story and it doesn't say when the vandalism occurred. If it was during school, fine.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit? Part of our problem is likely because we care too much about what those eggheads think.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

At first I just thought the dad did a great thing. Now seeing Grimace check in, I know he's done a great thing.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm with you, hondo. Nothing has ruined more kids these days than psychologists, psychiatrists and therapists.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but I think I see where Grimace is going with his comment. A parent can't be everywhere his or her child is, but a parent can set rules and expectations with consequences for not meeting those. A parent can set a tone early on that instills good habits in children.

At some point, however, children become old enough to make their own decisions and must do so without the parent hovering over their shoulders. And if a parent has tried everything in his or her power to ensure that a child will make the right decisions and the child doesn't, the parent can only shoulder some of the blame.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Thus, in actuality, it's great parenting.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not all parenting.

Otherwise, how can you explain how one kid in a family can be a little angel and another can be in trouble all the time?

Some of the biggest assholes I have know growing up had very strict parents at home and it was all "Yes sir, no sir" at the house.

Outside, they were rebeling or picking on other kids to vent.

Kids with parents who did things like have group family game night or new-agey family counseling were the kinds of kids you couldn't talk into doing any mischief.

You do your best and hope for the best.

This father is taking a stand and good for him. I just question if it will have the desired effect.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Eggheads?

Is it 1956?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

See if I buy you a malt!

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, eat a hodgie

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

For all those who say "Those of you who aren't parents just don't get it," is there a magic society that you get inducted in when you have your first child? Do you get, like, a copy of some great tome of parenting wisdom? How is it that those of us who don't have kids aren't at all qualified to comment on parenting, but that one becomes qualified to do so immediately upon having one?

Draft saved Draft deleted