1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dad tries unique punishment for vandalizing son

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 17, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Seems to me that junior is a chip off the old block.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'd like Poin to come back and give us his take on this.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, I actually agree with JR on something related to parenting. Scary.

That said, this man knows his son much better than any of us do. If he thinks it will work, I certainly won't criticize him for trying it, though I wouldn't do something like that.

Fake edit: Well put, Lester.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't necessarily agree or disagree. However, I find it odd that the people are taking the dad to task for making the kid man up but not manning up himself. Uhm, pretty sure the dad was there, watching his kid during his punishment. As embarassing as it might be for the kid, it's pretty embarassing for the parent, too, seeing their offspring marching around with a sandwich board.

Still, action is better than inaction.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We disagreed on something related to parenting?

Refresh my memory.

6. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I guess I've just been exposed to parents like this Dad (based on my assumptions). They're very quick to dole out the big punishment, and high volume, but pretty lax before then.

I wish the reporter would have asked a simple question:

Where were you when your son was committing this crime?

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It sounded like it happened while the kid was in school. I get your point, Grimace, but parents can't be everywhere, and I think it's a bit foolish to assume they can be -- or should know everything their children are doing. Very few can.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think Grimace's issue is that the parent is making a show of being tough on his kid, but wondering what the guy had been doing while things got to that point.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I will say, the guy does seem to be trying, and does seem to grasp that his son was probably acting out for attention of some kind. Those are all in his favor.

And if he isn't beating the kid and he isn't ignoring him, he's a step ahead of a lot of dads.

I still think the dad is probably working out his own issues, here. Perhaps that's unavoidable.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm a parent, and I'd never do something like this. I do agree with a little something the purple blob is getting at; the job of parenting is not about a big act like this, it's about myriad little acts over time that build your child.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's pretty close to my viewpoint and I'll feel even more comfortable when I can confirm that he didn't alert the newspaper himself.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

You'll only write about my kid if I make him wear a sandwich board on Main Street.

Draft saved Draft deleted