1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dad sues after son kicked off track team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

If this kid wins the lawsuit, he will be soakin' it up in a hot tub with his soul mate.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Are you saying that everyone should make the team?

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yes. And everyone should get a trophy. And a scholarship.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I don't know about other states, but in California taxpayers contribute little to athletic programs. Other than upkeep for the fields and the small coaching stipends, athletic programs raise their own money, even to reimburse the school district for busing.

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Why is there not a word in this about the younger son who got kicked off the JV team? They work just as hard!

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hate to see stuff like this.

But, the more I think about it, if it's a public school, how can you legally not offer equal access to everyone? How can you say to one person "you can't play" if you allow others to play? If you have to have 8 different sub-varsity basketball teams to accomodate everyone, so be it. Equal access under the law. This seems ripe for a court decision.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

So are you saying their should be four separate casts of "Grease" because that many girls want to play Sandy?

And there should be three bands to accommodate everyone who wants to be drum major?

Everyone is guaranteed equal access to classroom education, but everything else is a bonus.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He was not disallowed from being on the team. He was kicked off the team for what sounds like disciplinary reasons and habitually not coming to practice.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I take it you're not a lawyer?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Neither, actually. I'd argue that the chance to compete is play on a team is fair game.

Part of my POV comes from a rather conservative idea: Being a good consumer. And nowhere, other than health care, is the relationship between consumer and provider so one-sided as it is in education. It isn't so much that I have a problem with kids not making the team. I have problem with paying for it, period. So long as I am paying for it, it might as well spread these universal lessons to as many kids as possible. What do I, as a taxpayer, care about which high school football team wins?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Very telling to me is the story never mentions the kid's times in ANY event. Not one.

Because if they did, the story would be over.

"Hey, my son runs the 200 meters in 29.37. But he won races in junior high school!"

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

School and city/town pride of course!

Seriously though, the kid was afforded the opportunity to be on the team but was clearly a constant problem, from demanding he bump seniors from their spot in races -- what about their right to compete and go after scholarships? -- to not showing up for practice. Kid should be learning some hard lessons right now that the world does not completely revolve around him, instead his elderly asshole dad, who has nothing better to do with his time, is going to drag the school through an absurd multi-million dollar lawsuit, costing the school division likely hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees, all because he and his kid are self-entitled pricks.

As has been pointed out before, if he is that set on track, there are other avenues. If he is that good, transfer to another school or go the AAU route.

To me, this reeks of a cash grab, nothing more. The guy is a retired veteran, my guess is he has some medical bills that are piling up and needs an infusion of dollars. Not to mention this gains all kinds of attention for his son, but I don't think the kind of attention he wants.

Draft saved Draft deleted