1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dad sues after son kicked off track team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 13, 2013.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And, yes, dad claims kid may lose chance at scholarship.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

"Participation in extracurricular activities is a right," Mears said.

No it's not. Fuck off.

The whole story is a little light on details, but if the kid is good he isn't getting kicked off the team for missing practice because of a funeral or for being injured. He, along with his dad, was probably told to take a hike because he came in as a freshman proclaiming he knew more than the coach.
  3. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Lost exposure? There are AAU track teams everywhere. Plenty of exposure to be had.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

But the education is. Or at least I presume it is in the state's constitution.

Which brings up the question: Why is math class one thing and the track team philosophically something different? They're both paid for by taxpayers.

Imagine, for a second, that a person is entitled to Social Security, but not the "Elderly Enrichment Program" because the program would surely be less fun if every last elderly person was allowed to be in. So there was a tryout program to determine the most interesting elderly folks who get to be in.

Your mom didn't make the cut. But your taxes are paying for the program. Are you cool with that?
  5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The key term marking the difference between math class and activities is "extra" curricular. I'd call having the opportunity to participate a right. That doesn't guarantee you will get to. You have to earn that privilege.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

How is it that you missed that "extra" part in "extracurricular"?
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Meh. "Extra" is just some word. It's a dodge, really. Taxpayers still pay for it and the bonus salaries teachers get for coaching it.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Other than the word "extra" what's the fundamental difference between math class and track team? You have testimony after testimony across America as to the learning value of sports.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You're being silly.
  10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Don't students have gym class as an equivalent to math class?
  11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Illinois is the only state that required PE all through high school. So in most cases, no.

Also, I know of few schools where anyone is cut from track or cross country. A rare case is my old high school, which I'm told has cuts because 150 kids go out for cross country.

In this case, it sounds like the dad is a major asshole. And as others have already said here, if the concern is a scholarship, there are plenty of venues where he can run and get attention. It's not as if a college coach is going to say, "He's fast, but, sheesh, he's not running for his school team." Although after seeing this dad, I wouldn't blame some college coaches for passing. I feel sorry for the kid.
  12. dieditor

dieditor Member

I loved the line about what the dad was seeking in damages. Those varsity letters mean a lot when you have to sue to get them, huh? Oh, and $40 million on top of that.
Draft saved Draft deleted