1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dad on way to hospital with pregnant wife gets $1,000 ticket

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It was also March and they were just outside of Portage la Prairie. No reason they could not have connected with the hospital there and have an ambulance transfer the wife safely as the RCMP officer recommended. Again, if her situation got a whole lot worse, would you rather the husband trying to deal with that while driving 170 on the highway, or would you rather have her in the back of an ambulance with a paramedic monitoring her situation where they can be in touch with the hospital in Brandon the entire time if something happened. If the RCMP officer refused to help get them to the hospital in Portage despite his recommendation they go there, then I would have an issue with him. But to completely ignore his instruction was the responsibility of the driver. The RCMP officer also offered to have an ambulance meet them on the highway, but they refused. No I am sorry. Sometimes you can't do it all yourself.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

These guys had it right

[​IMG]

;D

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Are all Canadian law enforcement officers RCMP, or do they have municipal or provincial jurisdictions?

(I assume they do not have the American equivalent of counties.)

RCMP has an image in America of forthrightedness, certainly.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Nope, but they are everywhere. They are the federal government's branch of law enforcement and in rural areas they are almost always the only law enforcement. Most major centres, and some smaller ones, have their own police force as well.

5. Similar thing happened to me and Mrs. Lone. She was rushing me to the hospital for an allergic reaction after surgery, was caught doing 46 in a 35. I'm not able to speak, so cop of course is asking me questions about how I'm doing. Mrs. Lone is in tears trying to explain, cop writes ticket, then asks if we need an ambulance. We are 2 1/2 blocks from the hospital. Wife just points to said hospital and we drive over after getting the ticket and lecture.

Long story short, she goes to court, tells judge the story, judge glares at ticketing officer, asks officer if this is true, officer says yes in low voice. Judge: "Dismissed."

Faith in legal system restored.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

You were also 2 1/2 blocks from the hospital you were trying to go to, not a couple of minutes from the nearest one and trying to go to one 125 Kms (77miles) away and going at least 60 Kms (37mph) over the speed limit and ignoring the directions of the officer on the safest and best course of action for everyone involved.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Cops were ineffective clowns.

Next.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Hi Beef

I am not sure if you have dealt with a pregnant wife who has had complications but the couple knewthat Portage la Prairie could not help them. There was no point going there. The obvious choice the Mountie had was to get them to help them get to Brandon as quickly as possible.

I am not anti-police, generally far from it, but this is just another example of ineffective policing bt the RCMP.

As for the road in March I could not be bothered to look up weather conditions but having driven many prairie rods thru the winter, including that one, it may have been clear and dry.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

RCMP contracts itself out to municipalities that don't have city police services as well as being our national police service. In recent years it has been plagued by a number of incidents that have shown serious cracks in how it operates, the highest profile of these being 4 mounties tasering a polish immigrant in Vancouver airport when he pulled a stapler on them.

They are a great symbol of Canada but the reality does not match the myth.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's also the provincial police everywhere except Ontario and Quebec.

11. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

My deer old dad got a ticket taking my mom to the hospital not too long ago, while, it tuns out, she was having a stroke. He still thinks about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted