1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dad kills sons at college in West Virginia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Sep 3, 2006.

1. My aunt just graduated from Shepherd, and she's, um, 47. So maybe she's just skewing the numbers and Columbo's right.

Oh and Hoops, for someone who (rightly) gets pissed every time someone makes a crack at Southerners, I would have expected more from you than an easy West Virginia shot. My aunt and her daughters all learned to read well before they were 13. I'm pretty sure they were 11.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

noted... i did have it at 10, but, well, i remembered my last trip through that state

and, well, we southerners are on the internets now, west virginia, well, i don't know if the trs80 couplings (or whatever you call those damn things that held the phone to the computer like in weird science) work with tin cans on a string (i keed, i keed)

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Average age for ALL students was 26.36. Since they have a grad program, I will take that "four-year" references undergrads.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The age goes in the "clues to possible motive" category, and it's worthy of an explanation if available about what the sons recent history has been. Obvioulsy, they didn't go to college straight from high school. So, where they living at home? Did they go in the army? Were they still mooching off of dad? All those are questions rightfully pretty near the surface here. 23 and 26 years old kind of puts the sons out of "kid away at college" mode with the old man. It also makes it more likely that the sons were self-sufficient and not relying on mom and dad for money. So why'd he kill them?

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Thank you Point... get ready to don the kevlar.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

We had a 19 year old sophomore at a local high school last year, though he was suspended for shooting at a school bus. with people inside. Once he gets out of jail he'll b e a 21 year old High School sophomore

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The local news reported the younger son had some cryptic messages on a website saying he wished he was someone else.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

and headed to college?

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not unless Gary Williams takes a chance on a local kid with a record, but who can go to his left.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Shepherd's not in that part of WVa, 2much. It's right against the Maryland border, maybe 15 miles south of Hagerstown. Probably more white-collar than blue.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

From the story:

"The 4,000-student campus was quieter than usual on Saturday because of the Labor Day holiday. The occasional smack of a tennis ball on a tennis court in the distance and a passing car were the only sounds heard Sunday."

There's something to be said for detail and observation in journalism, but where was the editor when that second sentence came in to play? Talk about extraneous.

Draft saved Draft deleted