1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dad kills sons at college in West Virginia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/father-sons-dead-in-apparent-murder/20060902174509990013?ncid=NWS00010000000001

I couldn't find any explanation in the story why people aged 24 and 26 were collerge students in an undergraduate setting.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Wow. Shepherd's football team was playing at my alma mater while this happened. Very quiet little town, Shepherdstown.

3. johnnychoice

johnnychoice New Member

Maybe he was upset over having to pay tution for 6 and 8 years respectively

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's possible they both went into the military out of high school. It's also possible, given the location, that they went to work in the coal mines after high school but eventually realized, "The money's nice but damn, this is a shitty way to make a living."

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'd dare say it's more common than those who graduate four years after high school.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Heck, I worked a full time (or more) job all through college myself. As far as I know, so have all of my siblings that graduated from college.

I'd rather take an extra two years to get the sheepskin than graduate with $25-50k in loans.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I think it deserves mention of why, especially for the 26-year-old.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I went to a college where the median undergrad age was 27. And this was 15-20 years ago.

Granted, it was a commuter school, which tends to skew older. But there's nothing that needs to be explained about why someone 24 or 26 is going to undergrad. Yeah, it could be post-military, it could be post-coal mine, it could be dropped-out-because-girlfriend-had-a-baby. Especially with what college costs these days, there are a lot of people coming out of high school that need to work for a while just to afford college, or need to go part-time for a long time to keep a lid on costs. Who knows? And in this story, who cares?

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It jumps out.

I don't care what you guys say, 26 is above average for someone at undergrad.

And, in a case where , even by murder-suicide standards, this is bizarre, any abnormality should be checked out.

I mean, killing two adult sons... that is bizarre, even within the realm of an already horrific crime.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

According to Shepherd University's enrollment numbers for 2003-04 (http://www.shepherd.edu/college/enrollment04.html) ...

Average Age (All Students): 26.36
    Average Age (4 Year): 23.48
    Average Age (2 Year): 27.79
    Average Age (Non-Degree): 34.76

So, no -- 26 is NOT "above average for someone at undergrad," specifically at this school.

Any more questions that "jump out"?

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

So, the guys were graduate students?

Thank you. Question answered.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

according to the same link, 27 of the 4,831 were enrolled in 'graduate studies'

it's west virginia, hell, not sure they can read until 13, it takes a little longer to get to college level classes

Draft saved Draft deleted