1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Dad bods'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, May 13, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep. One bacon cheeseburger can wipe out an hour on the treadmill.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Another thing that happens is your body seems to adapt to exercise and it doesn't burn as many calories during it because you are training yourself to work more efficiently.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

My understanding—limited—is that no one can lose weight more easily than a youngish male with some muscle mass. When I was fairly fat (220 on a 5' 10" frame) and decided to lose weight, I lost a pound a day for the first two weeks or so. I just stopped eating total shit and went for a long walk each day. It got harder after that, but that initial drop was pretty easy. I don't think that's the case for most women.

expendable likes this.
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've given up hamburgers (at least those that aren't cooked at home) and french fries this year and I've been eating salads for lunch at least 3-4 times a week. It's making a difference, but that last inch of belly flab is the toughest to lose.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

To go from big to not-so-big is fairly easy. To go from not-so-big to lean or even shredded is a whole other mountain.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

New poll indicates women prefer men who don't shower or brush their teeth on the weekends ...

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

No doubt. I was always skinny and ate whatever I wanted, but as I got a bit older my metabolism slowed. Started approaching 200 pounds and was reaching a milestone birthday, so it led to the diet change.

It's worked really well. I don't want to be "shredded" (more importantly, I don't want to put in the work).

I guess the frustration from the wife is that she's worked her ass off to get baby weight off and all I had to do was cut portions and eat more salads to drop 15 pounds in a couple months.

8. Starman

That too, but simple math says it's much harder to burn off calories than it is to chow down 500 at a time with high calorie junk food (which of course tastes yummy).

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My white whale is alcohol. I can down 800 calories on a nice day without ever catching a buzz. Cold beers or a bourbon on ice or gin and tonic just go so well with so many activities around the house.

10. Starman

Nothing better than a cold beer and a yummy juicy bacony bacon double cheeseburger plus chili cheese fries. With ranch dip. Plus an ice cream cone. Two scoops - maybe three!

Whoops, there's 3000 calories. Making my fat ass great again!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ranch dip?
    So disappointed in you.

Did you know that 80 percent of Trump supporters use ranch as a condiment for 17 or more foods, including french fries?

12. Starman

I was using "ranch dip" for sheer shock value.

Actually I dip fries in light mayonnaise (thus saving 25 crucial calories).

Draft saved Draft deleted