1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D2 semifinal and AP Photos

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Dec 11, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I sent it upstairs to be dealt with. It really wasn't that big an issue for us in terms of the next day's paper -- Delta State is hours away and got beat badly. It was just such a system breakdown that I thought it was worthy of some further examination.

Anyway, I already know how to get any event shot by AP and moved worldwide:

Tell them Cindy Sheehan will be there.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

She's got more guts than Donald Rumsfeld will ever have.

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Good thing for you Delta State lost last week, HH, because you know and I know them lazy bastards in Florence aren't gonna ship any photos to AP this Saturday.

Grand Valley State vs. Northwest Missouri State? Who the hell south of Sedalia, Mo., cares? ;)

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sedalia? That's kind of random, given that it's really Mules/Jennies territory and nowhere close to Maryville, Mo.

5. HejiraHenry

What-ever.

6. HejiraHenry

I won't worry about my friends in Florence. They have my sympathy, as I had a chance to watch the D2 championship from the inside last year.

7. HejiraHenry

Hey, AP, nice photos from the D2 game today.

Nice photos from the i-AA game last night.

Nice photos from the NAIA game today.

We gonna get more than two actioners from the D3 game that was ... wait for it ... on TV?

8. ARD

ARD Member

I'm showing a bunch of shots from naia, d2 and i-aa, plus the aforementioned d3.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

If that happens, call your nearest photo center. For you, I think Chicago. Ask them to contact a member paper and to move them out on the general wire. It's pretty standard stuff.
    Just because AP isn't there, doesn't mean they don't have access to news photographs.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We have no shortage of D-3 art here.

11. HejiraHenry

Sorry, I got preoccupied for a while. yes, a veritable bounty now.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Back when I worked in Virginia, I'd have to throw a fit on a regular basis to get AP to call a bigger paper and get them to send Virginia Tech or Virginia art. But they normally would do it.

The worst was in North Carolina. In the fall of 2003, North Carolina's AP -- from what I recall -- refused to move any college football art until the beginning of the season. I was new there and didn't have the opportunity to archive any photos from the previous year and our 8,000-circulation paper couldn't (or so our publisher says) afford AP Archive. So every single college football story about a North Carolina team (UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, East Carolina and N.C. State) ran without a photo. I wasn't very happy about this.

Draft saved Draft deleted