1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D.S.M. "out of touch with science"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 7, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This isn't the sexiest story in the news today, but I think it's interesting and important. Essentially, a battle is brewing over the long adhered to categories of the D.S.M., basically the diagnostic bible of psychiatry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/health/psychiatrys-new-guide-falls-short-experts-say.html?ref=us&_r=0

The problem? It essentially had little basis in science, organized by symptoms, not cause. The problem? We don't really know the causes of mental illness at this point. The piece reminded me of a huge row we had here a few years ago when I said that the "chemical imbalance" language was, at best, oversimplified and, more likely, flatly inaccurate.

From the NYT piece:

"The mechanisms of the field's most commonly used drugs - antidepressants like Prozac, and anti psychosis medications like Zyprexa - have revealed nothing about the causes of these disorders. And major drug makers have scaled back psychiatric drug development, having virtually no new biological 'targets' to shoot for."

I'm fascinated to see what Obama's plan to map the human brain yields. People may view the D.S.M. the way we view leeches.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There was a recent study that indicated the cause for ADHD could be sleep deprivation. If you're a parent whose child was/is prescribed ADHD drugs (ritalin, adderall, etc.) based on a DSM evaluation, this is unsettling. The DSM process amounts to little more than hearsay.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Kuhn writes about this in his The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. We might be entering a revolutionary phase in which what had been fundamental assumptions are thrown out and entirely new paradigm of progress is begun.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I should point out that leeches still have a medical function and are still in use for very specific treatments. I kid you not. My wife, who is an ICU nurse, once used them for a patient. I don't recall exactly what it was for, but I believe they were prescribed to control subdural bleeding. Maybe around the brain?

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Explain.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I think he's trying to say it's out of touch with Scientology, too.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, that was during the interview in which he came across as a voice of reason against psychiatric medicine.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Meant to post this link earlier. Apparently the placebo effect is becoming a big, big issue for low-effectiveness drugs (like psychotropics):

http://asserttrue.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/new-patents-aim-to-reduce-placebo-effect.html

Draft saved Draft deleted