1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D-League writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just trying to find out how many papers actually staff D-League games and what you think of it. I fill in for the regular at the shop I string for. I find the games interesting, but it's organized chaos as for the behind-the-scenes show.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We staff all home and playoff games.

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Why would you NOT staff a home game? It's a professional basketball team. Would you not cover the local minor league baseball team at home?

But I was writing about the D-League before it ever came into existence, so my view's a little skewed.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I covered about a third of the home games for the old Mobile Revelers.
    They featured now-NBA hed coach Sam Vincent and had now-Globetrotter Eugene Edgerson from Ariz. fame.
    Hated to see that team leave Mobile. Got some good stories.
    Now the arena football team from Mobile - that's a different story.
    Sorta glad to see them fold.

5. JLawson

JLawson Member

We just got a D League team here in Reno, Nev., and I was wondering what to expect. How is the typical media availability? Is the D League starting to catch on more in other cities?
    Also, if I got this beat how would that help me land a bigger job?

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

What if the NBA puts a D-League team into a major market and no one goes, or cares?

There is no coverage of the LA and Anaheim teams.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The NBA is very commited to the D-league. It is now being run out of New York with a new staff. They realize it will take some time to develop it but they have a good plan. They see no reason why with focus that they can't have same type of business model the NHL has for their minor league teams.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Running it out of New York, but isn't the eastern-most franchise in Iowa?

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I don't know what the attendance is like.

That would be a deciding point for me. Same for its connection to the community.

10. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I have never seen any coverage of the LA Defenders and the Anaheim team get any coverage from the Times and the Daily News. I think it could be good to cover a few games. Don't they play before the pro teams play? Also anyone in a big market know if you cover a D-League team do you have to leave when the big boys game starts?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can't base attendance on the announced crowds. I say the actual attendance is about 50-75 percent of the announced number.

There are some good feature opportunities, especially with the NBA players who get sent down. The basketball isn't very good though.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I wouldn't count on announced crowds.

I would go to a game.

If the players and staff outnumbered the fans, I would have to wonder.

I honestly do not know anything about the D-League. Just asking.

Draft saved Draft deleted