1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D-I men's basketball has its first openly gay player

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Aren't POO and YF political allies?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I come for 21

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was worried about her when I saw the thread saying, "21 injured in Pennsylvania school stabbing."

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I see your point and I think this will eventually come to be the reality, but right now, I do think announcements such as this are important.

Jason Collins, Michael Sam and Derrick Gordon are all making it easier for other male athletes to acknowledge their own sexual identity without fear of reprisal. They're seeing a largely positive reaction to these announcements and I'm sure that gives them a greater level of comfort that if they decide to come out, they'll be supported most (if not all) of their teammates, coaches and the media.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wish I was a columnist still. The fact that these have all been black athletes - along with Dorien Bryant, Glenn Burke, and others - seems like a matter of major social significance in the aftermath of Prop 8 and other instances of a gay stigma in that community.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The acceptance of these young men really restores my faith in
    most Americans to do the right thing.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Some people don't want social significance thrust on them. They don't want to be poster children.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Dismissing the relative importance of prep coverage to some small newspapers is not the best way to make your point.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This type of story would be insignificant were it not for the knee jerk "faggot" "gay" "homo" slurs that are thrown out there nearly every minute of every day on athletic fields of competition and if the greater majority truly acted like they would treat everyone equally, whatever that person's sexuality. Until that is cleaned up, it is very important for players to come out and let others know that those terms are unacceptable because homosexual competitors are right there, next to them, every day, in every competition.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

What makes their cross any heavier to bear than the Polish, or Mexicans, or women, or blacks?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Weird how you can practically do a countdown to when Zagoshe posts on a gay thread. His favorite topic.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the day to come where a heterosexual athlete can announce he likes to have sex with members of the opposite gender without everyone rolling their eyes.

Draft saved Draft deleted