1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

d/fw morning star-telegram news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Dec 10, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

this sprung from a comment some guy made about the dmn and the fw startlegram about the dmn not staffing texas rangers games. while i haven't heard that specifically, i have read in several places the possibility of the papers combining editorial resources. hell, why not just get it over with and merge if you're going to have the same reporter covering the rangers for both papers. just have an east and a west zone edition.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Here's what I've heard from people at both papers, so I'm pretty sure it's accurate:

The plan is to split coverage of their pro teams. The DMN would cover the Mavs and Stars for both papers. The S-T would cover the Rangers for both papers.

Both papers would continue to staff the cash-cow Cowboys independently.

But, yeah, the DMN would no longer staff their MLB team. Shocking and saddening.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

they are apparently sharing stories on arts coverage, too.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Like it or not, this might be the only way for the print media to survive. Combining resources is not a bad thing. Several papers are already doing it with shared delivery routes.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Fine. But let's drop the pretense that there are two newspapers and make them one. Doesn't seem as if any city in the U.S. except New York will be able to support more than one newspaper, long term. Actually, it will be a binary system: one or none.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So, basically, expect mass layoffs in the next few months...

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Brilliant, BRILLIANT, innovative media leadership from the top.

The DMN can't cover the Rangers!!!??? You have got to be kidding me. I knew things had gone downhill there from their all-world days of the '80s and much of the '90s, but this is utterly ridiculous.

Can you imagine if Tracy Ringolsby or Gerry Fraley had still been around at the DMN when this news came down???

Sad day.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

They would have one of two options: adapt or take the buyout.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Isn't it interesting that the Dallas Morning News, whose editorials are so strongly in favor of free market competition, is seeking to avoid practicing same?
    If I was an advertiser, I'd advertise in one paper during baseball season, and the other during hockey and basketball season. They're not saving money by costing me exposure. Fuck both papers.

10. I hope the DMN finds something for Evan Grant. He's a solid guy and a good reporter.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Except that Dallas and Fort Worth are two different cities with two very different readership bases.

What's next? The Star-Trib ceding hockey coverage to the Pioneer Press?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's funny but I can actually see that happening.

Draft saved Draft deleted