1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D-Day plus 63 years

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 6, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Just taking a moment to remember what may be the most important military action ever taken. Unbelievable sacrifice. To those who were involved, a sincere thank you.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

*tips hat to those who did the heavy lifting*

3. More important than Grenada?
    Unpossible.
    Sincere thanks to all involved, including my late father, whose ship lobbed shells into Utah beach.

4. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

For those with XM:

Next Wednesday, June 6th, XM will air a unique special that re-creates the radio coverage of D-Day, with archival reports from NBC’s original radio news bulletins of the invasion.

This incredible broadcast will air, in real-time, starting at 12:41am ET (which was the time of the first airing) and will end June 7th, at 5:45pm ET on The '40s (ch 4). The special will be based on the original NBC radio news reports of the invasion (currently housed in the National Archives) exactly as it was heard almost 63 years ago.

The marathon will also feature music of the era and archival reports from radio commentators of the day, including H. V. Kaltenborn, Merrill Mueller, and the other members of NBC’s news staff.

"Once we discovered that this material existed, we felt we had an obligation to bring it to XM listeners," said Program Director Marlin Taylor. "No one else would undertake such an endeavor and it is our role to keep the music and history of this era alive and available to those living in the 21st century."

Pretty amazing.

5. three_bags_full

Wow. That's waay cool. I'd love to hear it.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They are all important in their own way.

If that college professor didn't hold Little Round Top at Gettysburg, Lee would of had an elevated position on the Union troops. This may have swung the next day's battle in the South's favor. It most certainly would prevented Pickett's Charge which was for all intents and purposes the end of the Civil War.

If the South had prevailed at Gettysburg, they probably would have been backed by the French. This could of made their succession from the Union possible.

If we are not a unified nation headed into WWII, I really do not think we would have been able to defeat Hitler, and we would be speaking German today.

So I think that professor choosing to put on the bayonets when the rifles were empty of rounds is the most important decision in American history.

I know an American Revolution buff will knock this down, but it shows that there are so many important battles. To call one the most important is tough to do.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

... which is why I used the phrase, "may be." Clearly, there are arguments to be made. My intent for the thread was remembrance of this action, given where we are on the calendar.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Many thanks to those who served in all wars, and in peacetime.

My grandfathers weren't in on Normandy, they came up through North Africa and were in the invasion of Sicily. And through them I became a WWII buff.

In the Band of Brothers DVD there is a disc with interviews with the remainging vets. Gets me every time I watch it.

9. three_bags_full

In my opinion, we owe a lot of our freedom to Admiral François Joseph Paul de Grasse, who lead a French fleet that prevented a British fleet from resupplying and reinforcing Cornwallis' forces at Yorktown. That was the end of major combat operations, to borrow from today.

But there is still no comparison to the logistical and combat brilliance displayed on June 6, 1944. If you don't believe me, just google Operation Mulberry.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Band of Brothers is greatest thing ever created for television. Everything about it was great.

Planet Earth looks like it will settle in at a strong #2.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

TBF is dead on. And from a military perspective, nothing before or since compares. The scope, the logistics, the manpower...the bravery.

One of the more unique tidbits about D-Day is that each division was limited to having one Medal of Honor awarded for action that day. Had it not been for that, a lot more incredibly heroic actions would have been recognized that way.

Folks, seriously...take a moment to learn one new thing about this invasion. It truly was amazing.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Band was very faithful to the book, too. I was expecting it to be different, but it was incredible.

What's Planet Earth?

Draft saved Draft deleted