1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D-Day Has Arrived At My Shop. Wish Me Luck.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My last shop did the same thing with summer interns.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

That's what I'm thinking.

3. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Layoffs will be coming down from upstairs/the publisher/CFO. They don't know or give a shit what's on today's city budget. The people who do give a shit about today's city budget don't know yet whom the axe will fall on either.

In one Gannett newsroom where I used to work, the axe fell last month on the guy who puts together the city budget (i.e., Metro editor). He didn't know it was coming.

4. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Word is that our place is supposed to make an announcement today. But so far, no emails.

I'm not going to let this ruin my day. I think I'm gonna go work out, then maybe catch a movie.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Good for you Tony.

It's my daughter's first birthday and here I am glued to my computer checking emails and my messenger because coworkers are all going insane over this.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

1. Forward all your important e-mails and addresses to a personal account.

2. Copy all vital stuff from your hard drive to disk.

3. If you're let go, don't let HR or anyone else bully you into signing anything on the spot before an attorney can see it.

4. If you're getting severance, ask if you can have it in one lump-sum payment.

5. Hang in there, one way or the other.

7. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine what this is like for people who are married with families.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Way ahead of you goalmouth.

Saturday, I went in early and did all of No. 1 and 2.

I figured these cuts would come later this week, not today. But I wanted to make sure.

I did forget one thing on my computer's desktop, so I'm going in tonight when my wife gets home and most of management is out of the building.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Whatever happens will happen.

You have a healthy daughter and a wonderful family, and you are lucky enough to have some time to allow things to work themselves out.

Things will be OK no matter what way the ball bounces this afternoon.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Good take, 93Devil. And my thoughts are with you, Inky.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Good luck, Pete. We're going through this at my shop now, so I know exactly what you're going through.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Just got word that 13 people at our smaller mid-sized daily, which employees about 60 total people only, will get the axe.

Draft saved Draft deleted