1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D-Day Has Arrived At My Shop. Wish Me Luck.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm off today. But I just received an email informing all staff of "a number of layoffs" at our paper taking place this afternoon. I think — and hope — I'm safe. But I can't help but feel anxious.

I hope I don't get a phone call or email asking me to come in. And I sure hope I don't go in Wednesday and have the axe fall on me.

Wish me luck. And, if you're religious, pray for me.

2. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Good luck, man. Best wishes to you and the all-too-many others of us in the same boat. Let us know how it goes.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Last shop I worked at had layoffs on a Wednesday (because that was the end of the pay period), but one of the "victims" was off that day. So they laid her off when she came in on Thursday.

Good luck, Pete. Hang in there either way.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hang in there, Inky.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Best of luck.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

How appropriate you post, Bob. I watched Office Space last night when I got home, just to cheer me up. Now it's my reality.

7. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

You asked for prayers, mate...you've got mine... ;)

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

God damn.

I can't believe how bad things are getting -- and not just in our profession.

I had a friend who just got laid off -he can't even find work at places like K-Mart while he searches for something new.....

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Good luck Pete, I know you just bought a house and all.

10. Mediator

Mediator Member

I went through this recently. I didn't get fired, but the waiting was agony. I couldn't sleep or eat. Worst part was how bad I felt for those who did get the axe. And knowing that it's coming around again soon, and might get me or other people I care about.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I had a friend of mine (not in the newspaper business) who got her layoff notice while she was on vacation. When she asked her boss if he knew about this last week before she left on vacation, his response was, "I can't comment on anything about that."

Yesterday, after the Big Ten basketball game I was covering, the writer next to me said, "Good luck," when she left. It used to be when all the beat writers would see each other for the last time, it was more of a "See you later." Now it's "Good luck," because we don't know who among us will have jobs by the time next season rolls around.

So, good luck Pete. Hope this turns out to be a good day for you.

And good luck to everyone in the coming weeks and months.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Almost nobody is hiring at anything. Most places that don't require that someone have a college degree want no part of hiring someone who has one.

Draft saved Draft deleted