1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D-Day arrives at DMN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lone star scribe, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

ASE was desk only. They still have the SE, Vito, and one writer for each of the three Denton high schools. But they only cover 6 other football schools in the area.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Christ. Bobbi just left Milwaukee about a year ago approximately. This sucks on all levels.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Maybe five years ago, I just remember Dallas being the standard bearer for big, comprehensive sections -- they covered leagues nationally as well as any metro paper I knew of. Great weekly notes, ridiculous space, and that Sunday section was just overloaded with good stuff. Much like Atlanta, to see it now as a shell of its old self is really sobering.

Seems like for all the focus on staying local, preps has taken a big brunt of the cuts at many big papers, none more than here.

4. groovy

groovy New Member

I'm absolutely sick by all this. I got let go by the DMN last October. The fact they let the ENTIRE high school staff go is ridiculous. A lot of my friends - and a lot of great workers - were let go today. It breaks my heart. I wish them nothing but the best. - David Hinojosa.

5. Latest head count was at least 53 newsroom staffers, according to DMNcuts.blogspot.com. The breakdown looks like this:

11 local news (10 reporters, one clerk)
    1 production editor, Editorial
    6 from Lifestyles (3 editors, 2 writers, 1 writer-editor)
    3 from Business (1 writer, 2 editors)
    13 from Sports (6 writers, 4 copy desk editors, 3 undetermined)
    6 from Photo
    6 from News Art
    6 from News copy desk
    1 from News desk (only management position, according to blog)

Three I have confirmed in Sports are college writer Bobbi Roquemore and prep writers Keith Whitmire and Damon Sayles. Whitmire and Sayles had over 10 years tenure at the DMN. Roquemore came in about a year ago to pass through the revolving door that has become the SMU beat.

Did anyone else notice the DMN did not staff the Final Four? That would have been unheard of back when that paper kicked ass in its college coverage.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Any word on whether the newsside people are zoned-edition semi-stringer types or in-the-newsroom Metro desk staffers?

10's a lot if it's the latter.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They would have had at least a columnist and a "beat" guy at the Final Four back when they gave a shit about turning out a quality product.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Seriously, what paper really gives a shit about the product these days?

9. The one layoff on the news desk was NOT management. The desk's youngest, probably least-experienced member was laid off.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

None, of course.

Just waiting for one to have the balls to admit it, though.

11. pennstater

pennstater New Member

These numbers for sports are off. The final breakdown was 8 copy editors, 4 writers and 1 phone clerk. Also, it's already been mentioned but I'll say it again. The vast majority of the DMN news desk are not classified as management. The position there that was cut was not a management one.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Has anybody written a book about the demise of the DMN sports section yet? remember when it was the most amazing section in the country?

Draft saved Draft deleted