1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D-Day arrives at DMN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lone star scribe, Apr 6, 2009.

1. jps

jps Active Member

gola, think you've hit it - they're going to focus on college/pro, it seems. I know keith whitmire also got cut, and he's a preps guy. they'll survive until the fall, and then folks are going to be down at the dmn with their pitchforks and torches a blazin.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Somebody could make a killing in marketing a "newspaper" strictly devoted to HS sports in the Metroplex. Especially if they hired former DMN prep writers who knew what the hell they were doing.

There is a very strong niche market for that sort of stuff, especially for people looking for "scrapbook material" (hate to say it, but you know it's true).

You'd imagine a preps-only publication would sell like johnny cakes. And it would be relatively cheap to run (limited travel).

It would also come with a built-in advertising base: "Billy Bob's Dildo Factory supports the Mustangs!" and crap like that.

3. jps

jps Active Member

preps isn't niche in texas. esp. in football.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

They have so many schools in the Metroplex that it's going to be tough for any coverage at all. There are some SOLID teams there too, so I guess they can use stringers when playoffs arrive.

5. spud

spud Member

Any word on Belo's movement at the Denton paper? I know their sports staff has been fairly bloated (for the times) of late.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

Think about them not covering the afforementioned Carter and Southlake Carroll, plus dozens of other schools that are always competitive in multiple sports: Cedar Hill, Lancaster, Duncanville, DeSoto, Highland Park, South Grand Prairie, Plano ISD, Richardson ISD ... the list goes on and on and on. Not to mention traditional 2A/3A powers, such as Celina.

This is depressing news. I covered the 3A Div II state title at Texas Stadium back in December and I believe Damon Sayles was covering it, too. Didn't get a chance to meet, but have heard great things about him. Met Randy Jennings over the weekend doing the 4A Reg II soccer tournament and Carrollton and we had a great time.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all these folks.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They laid off an ASE a month or two ago, but they still have a sports staff of five at a 15K.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's kind of how they did it before anyway. They staff the sacred cows (Plano, HP, Carroll, a token DISD game) with what they have, and round up the rest.

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

so, is it over? Was sports actually gutted that badly?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So I would guess that the sacred cows will now get the stringer treatment as well.

What they've done to this sports section is an abomination. I know papers have been slashing and burning all over the country but I don't think any section has fallen as far as fast as the DMN has.

11. txscoop

txscoop Member

Last I heard Denton has an SE, three prep guys and Vitto covering North Texas.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

That's a lot of guys covering North Texas. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted