1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D-Day arrives at DMN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lone star scribe, Apr 6, 2009.

1. All that talk about how shared content would benefit Fort Worth and Dallas was all just so much BS. We all knew what it meant -- fewer jobs. That's why Evan Grant, one of the best baseball writers around, left the DMN months ago.

2. txscoop

txscoop Member

I heard they cut the entire high school sports staff. Just awful. They plan on using college beat writers to fill in. Sad day at the DMN.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The blog I'm following says its 12 in sports, six copy editors and four reporters. Not sure what the duties are for the other two. Sad to see.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That blows my mind, txscoop, considering how huge high school sports is in Texas.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow... A few years ago they had one of the best prep staffs in the country.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That's terrible. Sounds like they're just giving up.

It would be wonderful to see those reporters band together, create a site or publication specifically devoted to high schools, market it that way and kick the DMN's ass (what's left of it) on preps.

7. A few years ago they had one of the best SPORTS staffs in the country.

Hard to understand how they plan on using college beat writers to cover preps. Other than UT, do they have any college beat writers left?

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

If you're going to cut all these copy editors, who in the heck is going to proof all that stuff before it goes into print or online?

Who!!??

Oh, I forgot---spellcheck. That takes care of everything. :)

9. spud

spud Member

Good God, I'd say that's about as bad of a one-day haul as I've seen for a single sports section.

The ENTIRE preps staff? This in a town with Carter, Southlake and any number of wildly competitive schools?

Riotous days, these.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe they have something worked out with Fort Worth for preps.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

There is no way that would work. There are just too many high schools covering multiple regions. I'm thinking they are just going to not cover high schools as much.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hell, they've already cut the page count to the bone. I don't see how they can cut that anymore than they already have.

My guess is - sometime in August - the DMN will hire a boatload of cheap stringers to cover HS football this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted