1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D-Day arrives at DMN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lone star scribe, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Fox 4 News in D/FW is reporting that an AH Belo rep told them 200 of the 500 cuts will come from the DMN.

2. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I can't even begin to imagine how much this must suck for my friends (and everyone else) at the DMN, although I worry about learning first-hand in the next few months. Good luck, guys and gals.

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

DMN used to be THE paper in the Southwest and I've had friends there too. This hurts to hear.
    You could buy a DMN off the rack in places like Little Rock up until about 4-5 years ago. That seems like it was the beginning to the long fall now.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

200 cuts from the DMN? Wow.

Best of luck to all those involved.

5. jps

jps Active Member

cuts are going on now for newsroom folks ...

http://dmncuts.blogspot.com/2009/04/noli-nothis-permittere-te-terere.html

one gone from sports is damon sayles. have met him a few times and was a really nice guy and did a hell of a job. lead boys basketball guy there, I think, for preps.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Metro writer Frank Trejo is another.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I think I read on there that there were going to be 13 gone from sports. I'm so hoping I read that wrong. Holy shit!

8. Don Drysdale

Don Drysdale New Member

A blog on this topic says 13 are gone in sports. If true, incredible.

9. Don Drysdale

Don Drysdale New Member

Riddick, I was typing as you posted and I had exactly the same thought, obviously.

How many were there in sports, do we know?

10. highlander

highlander Member

I don't see how the DNM is going to put out a sports pages daily losing 13 people, if not more. Sad, to see some people I consider friends be let go. Luckily, the FWST is handling Rangers coverage for them.

Glad to say on my birthday, I have a job, though it doesn't pay squat considering the long hours I work.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The losses won't become glaring until the last week of August, when toe meets leather.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

They're going to have to cut back on coverage, or cut the amount of pages, or both.

Prepare to meet your new beat writer: AP.

Draft saved Draft deleted