1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D-Day arrives at DMN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lone star scribe, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Layoffs will be announced today and tomorrow at the Dallas Morning News, with non-newsroom personnel getting the word today and newsroom staffers Tuesday. Apparently department managers hunkered down in a fourth-floor office for firing school, with the windows papered over. Pretty stealthy.

AH Belo is cutting 500 positions nationwide but won't break down the numbers by paper (Dallas, Providence, Riverside).

Trying to keep a good thought for my friends there. Here's the link:

http://dmncuts.blogspot.com/2009/04/cuts-at-dmn-start-today.html

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jeeeezus. Didn't DMN have some significant cuts not that long ago? I know Riverside had some recently, too.
    What's left to cut?
    Of course, I asked that at my old place and they still found 28 slots.

3. The DMN has had three or four very significant cuts over that past three to four years. I heard a few weeks ago the hammer was coming down again soon.

One of the best papers in America -- and arguably the best sports section in America -- are wasting away. I still have a few friends there. Praying for them and everyone else.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Riverside just laid waste to their staff: whacking several writers and three desk folks.

5. jps

jps Active Member

know several still there and hadn't heard back in a little while ... hoping for the best in a shity situation.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is IN ADDITION to what went down about a month ago?

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

No. I was referring to what went down a month ago.

If there is more coming.... wowza.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Heaven help DMN (or FWST, for that matter) if these cuts affect the ability to cover football in the fall. Texas sports fans eat HS football up like it's manna from heaven.

9. jps

jps Active Member

it isn't?

10. groovy

groovy New Member

I was let go by the DMN last October. Reading all this still cuts to the core. I've been in contact with several of my friends who are still there since my layoff. The tension they've felt over the last two months or so since they announced additional RIFs has been unbelievable. I think a lot of great people are going to be out work tomorrow. I wish them the best. If they happen to be reading this, don't hestitate to contact me (dhinojosa@aol.com) if you need some advice ... or a beer.

11. Groovy, PM me for details.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Shit.

Good luck to everyone in Dallas.

Draft saved Draft deleted