1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D.B. Cooper's parachute found?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

DB Cooper case 'solved': FBI tells niece of skyjacking suspect they are ready to close one of America's biggest mysteries after 'matching' fingerprintIdentity of the man behind Northwest Airlines hijacking on November 24, 1971 has long puzzled police
    Hijacker parachuted from plane with $200,000 after letting all the passengers and crew off

Marla Cooper says her uncle came home the day after hijacking 'badly injured'

By Thomas Durante

5th December 2011

The Northwest Airlines notorious skyjacking saga that has baffled authorities for 40 years may have finally been solved.
    An Oregon woman who claims her uncle was the elusive criminal known only as DB Cooper says she has been told by the FBI that her evidence is enough for them to close the file on the case.
    Burdened by guilt over her knowledge surrounding the case, Marla Cooper came forward earlier this year, claiming she had a 40-year-old family secret protecting her uncle, a man named Lynn Doyle Cooper.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070038/DB-Cooper-case-solved-FBI-tells-niece-skyjacking-suspect-matching-fingerprint.html#ixzz1fheT7U37 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070038/DB-Cooper-case-solved-FBI-tells-niece-skyjacking-suspect-matching-fingerprint.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

L.D. Cooper threw 'em off the trail by going with the alias D.B. Cooper. I can see how they wouldn't crack that code.

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

J Edgar was too busy cross dressing at the racetrack to solve it. :)

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

It fit in at the time, given that everything that happened in the '70s was a fashion mistake.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This guy is relieved that they fingered someone else.

[​IMG]

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"The FBI is analyzing a torn, tangled and buried parachute found by children in southwest Washington to determine whether it might have been used by famed 1971 plane hijacker D.B. Cooper, the agency said Tuesday."

or

"Children in southwest Washington found a torn, tangled and buried parachute that the FBI said Tuesday it is analyzing in connection with the unsolved 1971 D.B. Cooper plane hijacking case."

I prefer the latter.

... and I just edited a more than three-year-old AP lede. Oh, well. Late night.

7. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Solved. Wow. Kinda sucks.

8. If the case is closed and officials believe this man to be DB Cooper, why have no U.S. Papers picked up this nugget of news?

9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Bigger conspiracy than JFK.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Dammit, how did I not see that post like four above mine? Fail.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, and he would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those snooping kids around the $5 grand in 1980.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No, they're meddling kids. Get your Scooby Doo references correct, please.

Draft saved Draft deleted