1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cyberbaiting... It's not what you think

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 22, 2011.

1. I can totally see kids doing this to teachers.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't usually even friend my co-workers or bosses. If I were a teacher, there's no way in hell I'd friend my students.
  3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Any teacher who thinks it's OK to cyber socialize with a student is a teacher who needs 1.) a class in ethics/conflicts of intrest, and 2.) a serious reprimand.

I am friends with Army peers only. No subordinates. No superiors. Neither my commander, nor my Soldiers need to see any other side of me than what they see at work.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's clearly not what people think, since it has nothing to do with being FB friends and everything to do with actual personal interactions.
  5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You would think having video of these incidents would actually be worse for the student pulling the prank since it is now on record. Teacher can easily go to the administration and say "Here's video of so-and-so harassing me, please take action."
  6. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Except when all of the parts where the student is egging the teacher on is edited out, making it seem like the teacher went off on some poor kid for no good reason.
  7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good for these idiot kids because they are legally opening the door, or removing any possible argument against doing so, for classrooms to be videotaped by the school division.
  8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Or 3.) A candidate for a future poin thread.
  9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

That or the banning of mobile devices.
  10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My wife decided to completely remove her FB account... she didn't have any current students as friends, but there were some former ones on there... but the current and the former ones were sometimes friends, and well, she didn't want to risk her job any more with this crap.
  11. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I don't quite understand why mobile devices aren't banned from schools to begin with. If a parent really, really, really needs to get ahold of their kid, they can call the office. I realize those damn things are ubiquitous now, but there's no compelling pro argument for them that I can see.
  12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Is it illegal for teachers to place a cell phone on a tripod and tape the class? If not, that's what I'd do.
Draft saved Draft deleted