1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cy Young Awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 28, 2012.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ken Tremendous is not a sabermeric writer, sorry. He's a TV comedy writer who wrote some funny things about a stubborn baseball announcer.

This is what I mean by saying that I don't vouch for everyone who happens to write about sabermetrics on the Internet in the same way that no journalist should get lumped in with "scoops" from Bleacher Report.

Point me to something from Forman or Cameron or Tango or Lichtman or Wyers or Gleeman or plenty of other credible sabermetricians. Don't point me to FJM and say, "See? The sabermetric community (whatever that means) is closed-minded."

I'm not lumping in Bill Madden with Susan Slusser just because they both happen to be longtime baseball writers for newspapers. They're very different.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ok, scratch that reference if you like. Continue to believe the sabermetrics crowd is based only in rational thought and the scientific method. You may want to check in with Evan Grant and see what his inbox looked like after his MVP vote last year.

Here is the BABIP column -- it was actually a FIP column by Jeff Fletcher, who has always seemed to me to be a new-age kind of writer. He argued that Lincecum should not have won the Cy Young and noted that the reason he did win was that he struck more people out. He didn't get more people out and he didn't allow fewer runs, but there was an assumption that he did more of it by himself while Carpenter relied on his fielding.

http://www.aolnews.com/2009/11/20/what-the-fip-cy-voters-still-missed/

I would like to see you address the last point of my previous post, that we are told by the creator of the measurement to disregard differences of one to two runs -- 20 percent or more.

The oWAR difference between Trout and Cabrera is 0.9. I have a very difficult time believing there is a full two wins of difference in their defense alone.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's because he doesn't defend it well. THAT's what gets mocked more than anything when it comes to "old school vs. new school".

Again, there are plenty of old-school writers who don't like WAR and don't get blasted for it because they argue their points well and don't attack everyone who doesn't agree. Buster Olney and Jerry Crasnick come to mind. Tom Boswell (who's actually pretty new-school in a lot of ways) is another.

You clearly didn't read the hundreds of comments on Baseball Think Factory, Tango's blog, FanGraphs, Baseball Prospectus and Baseball-Reference when Sean changed his formula for WAR earlier this year.

There is no set "sabermetric" dogma in WAR (or most other subjects): There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of different and often opposing viewpoints on these subjects. Everyone weighs statistical factors differently and has different ideas on what exactly should be taken into account, and by how much.

WAR is not settled as The One True Stat, and never has been. It's always been an estimation, it's always been a subjective estimation, and it's always been tinkered with. FanGraphs tinkers with their formula just like BBRef tinkers with theirs. And they use very different methods of computing it (FanGraphs relies on FIP for pitching WAR, BBRef on runs allowed.)

Please show me where the dogma lies. It doesn't exist.

Arguments happen every day on all of these sites because a LOT of people in the sabermetric community disagree on a LOT of issues.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

well, winners do, ya know, win.
    if they didn't win, we'd refer to them as losers.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I refuse to accept that idiots who write e-mails to newspaper columnists are representative of ... anything. C'mon now, I worked in newspapers, too.

Continue to lump in real sabermetric writers like Dave Cameron and Sean Forman with stupid Internet commenters. That's totally open-minded.

In that case, am I allowed to lump in Bill Madden with zagoshe and old_tony? Please.

6. LongTimeListener

Then, really, what in the world is WAR for? To say "these guys are pretty good and these guys are REALLY good, but we can't narrow it down much more"? Well, I and every other baseball fan can already do that between Trout and Cabrera, thanks very much. Based on what you just wrote, I don't see how you can even look twice at it in figuring out your vote.

This discussion just reaffirms my belief that WAR is as much of a guess as the eye test ever was. One of the commenters on your original link noted that last off-season, Pujols lost 2 1/2 points off his WAR -- from 2003.

It's gobbledygook.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Then ignore it!

Who gives a shit, really? I'm not trying to convince you to use it. I frankly don't like it much myself. I do like the components that go into it, and I think those components show Trout to be much more valuable overall than Cabrera (as does WAR itself, on both sites.)

If you want to use it, use it. If you don't, don't.

8. LongTimeListener

Well, OK then. As I don't have a vote, it won't make much difference either way.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It makes a difference that some voters are using guesswork as "evidence."

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't, either.

But I will hold steady on the opinion that FJM, Jeff Fletcher (whoever he is; Twitter says he works for the OC Register now, but he's flown completely under my radar so I have no opinion on him), and Evan Grant's readers are not at all representative of the "sabermetric community".

If Dave Cameron or Tom Tango or Aaron Gleeman — or, hell, even Nate Silver — ever consistently make those type of arguments, then I'll concede the point that the sabermetric community may be too dogmatic for its own good. But I don't see it — what I see every day is a LOT of vibrant, healthy disagreement among all of these people. That's the opposite of dogma.

The one thing maybe they all can agree upon? That people like Bill Madden are just yelling at the clouds when they write columns like that.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Jeff Fletcher is a smart guy and veteran baseball reporter. He was at FanHouse. And I think you might recognize some of his work, buckweaver.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jeff just started in Orange County. Last week. Before FanHouse, he wrote baseball in northern California.

Draft saved Draft deleted