1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CWS running thread/blog/results/(whatever else NCAA won't let us do)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Jun 13, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What a throw. Wow.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Since I'm at the mercy of Gametracker, what is this call to which you refer? Apparently, it got Horton tossed.

Geez. Six freaking Anteater errors and they are 90 feet away from winning this. Un-effin-believable.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

He wasn't terribly deep in left field when he let go of the ball, but it's still a sweet play. You have to send the runner if you're UC Irvine, because in college baseball most guys won't make a good throw in that situation, but the LF gunned him down. Nice.

Still gotta get out of the jam, though ...

4. Johnny Dangerously

Anteaters 5-4. It's over. Hmm.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Leadoff batter "hit" by a pitch. Well, he was hit, but the ball was over the plate, but he turned right into it, made no effort to get out of the way.

Absolutely a joke of a call.

6. Johnny Dangerously

On an inside pitch, the UC Irvine batter did what most college coaches teach their batters to do -- turn your back on the ball, but stick the elbow out a bit as you turn -- and the pitch by Harris hit him. Ump sent him to first. Horton argued and got tossed.

By the letter of the rule, it was probably the right call, but by the spirit of the rule, the guy was clearly trying to get hit ... and like they said earlier, make them earn it.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I gotta think whoever loses the nightcap (provided it too doesn't go into extras) had to enjoy the 13 inning affair.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

The NCAA's blog wouldn't be as asinine if they updated more than before and after the game. Apparently, they can't scoop themselves.

Also, what's the damn deal with this chick interviewing dumb people in the crowd? I'm all for beautiful women on tv and all, but damn.

Lastly, I know of at least one person fighting the good blogging fight. Do we know of more? (I'm going to refrain from outing him because I don't want to be blamed if the NCAA reads it on here and he gets ousted.) Is anyone there being blatantly obvious about it? (Live check, ello?)

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Fullerton got to the CWS with a team that I would have thought had no chance to do so, but it still sucks being eliminated by a team from your own conference. Congrats to UCI on their first-ever CWS win, I just wish it didn't end the Titans season.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

What time does State play tonight?
    Tomorrow?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Ask me in February, brother.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And lost two one-run games once they got there, including one in 13 innings. Not bad at all, especially with the worst team Horton's taken to Omaha in his tenure.

Speaking of Horton, JD and MileHigh, you're absolutely correct. Saw the highlights when I got back from golfing last night after work (had to work out some of that aggression somewhere) and it was an absolute bullshit call.

That said, Fullerton's bullpen let it down and Irvine's didn't. Six errors or not, enough said.

Draft saved Draft deleted