1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CVS stops selling tobacco products

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The brother of a close friend of mine is a doctor. When he graduated from med school, my buddy jokingly asked him, "so, what'd you learn in med school?"

His reply: "Don't smoke. It triples your risk factors for everything."

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You and Hank are correct to say this was announced a while ago. They made the switch this week.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Perfectly executed.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Their model in the Minute Clinics is to contract out the work to a local health system. That way, there is a trusted hospital name on the door, not just your local drugstore treating your for whatever. Also, those hospitals have been buying up or hiring primary care physicians, so for them, the benefit is not just whatever they make working the Minute Clinic, but steering patients without doctors (or even patients with them) to the system's doctors and/or other facilities. With Obamacare adding so many to the insurance rolls, the clinics can get more patients, and the hospital systems can use the clinics to get more patients. That's the thinking, anyway.

However, I have a hard time believing that CVS will move out everything BUT health. Walgreens (which also has in-store clinics, but isn't expanding as aggressively as CVS) is more explicit about being your neighborhood convenient store, and CVS serves a similar function. Plus, while you're waiting to get in the clinic, you might be enticed to buy a little something.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't mean to suggest I believe they are getting out of all retail business except health care. They did, however, ditch selling cigarettes, because it isn't consistent with their new focus. I think they will ditch anything else that is at odds, too, if it becomes necessary.

What you wrote is how I understand their partnerships with a lot of local hospitals. There is a shortage of primary care physicians, that many people believe is going to get worse. They are trying to position to fill the void with reimbursable visits to see their physicians assistants and nurse practitioners. They aren't the only ones doing this. But right now they are being explicit about their plans.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not one to be out supporting a smoker's rights as I'm very pro-smoke free for just about anyplace that is indoors. I still can't believe, as a child, that I often dealt with second hand smoke at MLB games from whatever adult was sitting next to me.

I just find it funny CVS will take this stance but still fill their shelves with food and snacks that, as we see in American society, lead to obesity as fewer and fewer people take care of themselves.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Next up McDonalds stops selling french fries

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Seems to have worked out:

Draft saved Draft deleted