1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CVS stops selling tobacco products

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 3, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Fair enough. The average CVS store will have to replace around $600 a day in revenue (at an equivalent cost) for this to be a break-even proposition with respect to sales, but not with respect to profits.

Cigarettes and other tobacco products have a margin of about 15%, so that's about $90 a day in lost profits.

Health and beauty items have margins of between 30% and 50%. So, if we're assuming they're going to use the shelf space for items in the 30% margin range, they have to find about $300 a day in new revenue.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

CVS has their tobacco products behind the cashier. I don't know
    if that would be considered prime space or not. You certainly don't
    get a lot of impulse purchases.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they're behind the cashier because that's how you control them. Given that, that's probably why the cashier's stand is so wide ... Without having to control for tobacco, you could do any number of things, like increasing the number of cashier stations, or reducing the size of the cashier area and repositioning that as revenue-generating square footage.

All I'm saying is that, in addition to the PR/marketing/branding aspect of dropping tobacco, there probably are ample operations-related issues that also make the move make sense.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I would push back with this -- there are differing levels of obesity whereas, for smoking, you generally either smoke or you don't. The insurance companies pretty much declare ALL of us "overweight" or "obese", even with my BMI in the mid-20s.

That 350-pound woman in the motorized cart at Walmart won't see 75 as she searches for her ointments. Some smokers do see 75.

Smokers can also quit -- millions do each year.

Obese people rarely go from 350 pounds at age 40 to 180 pounds at age 42...and maintain that lower weight.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Its not really new news. They announced this a few months ago.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Seems like CVS looks X years into the future, and it is seeing a better future as a health care company than as a retailer.

I have no idea if they are betting correctly, but health care costs on a per capita basis are growing significantly and are projected to keep growing that way. Meanwhile, the retail landscape is really crowded. Plus, cigarette smoking is declining, so it likely isn't a growth area. CVS already runs hundreds of walk-in medical clinics. I'd expect them to start building out into that kind of business. It's harder to do that when you are selling cigarettes behind the registers.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I thought CVS announced the no-smokes policy months ago (or at least threw it out there), and, yeah, the stated reason was that it would buttress its position as a health company. It is also the largest chain of in-store clinics, and has an enormous pharmacy benefits management business.

Of course, you can still buy alcohol and fatty foods. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if CVS' alcohol aisle gets bigger as a result of the freed space. That matches -- beats -- tobacco in profit margin. Plus, people still drink. And you can put hard liquor behind the counter where the smokes used to be. And Walgreens a few years ago resumed alcohol sales after a 15-year hiatus.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704515704575282370477702814

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is how they are positioning themselves, including the name change from CVS Caremark to CVS Health. I wouldn't be very surprised if the nature of the business shifts over the next few years -- subtly at first, maybe overtly at some point. I wouldn't expect them to jettison food overnight, because they aren't going to throw away billions of revenue without replacing it. They have to transition and still keep shareholders happy, as it happens. But if they get knee deep into that kind of transition and alcohol and fatty foods are proving to hurt the image they need to project, I suspect they will jettison those categories. They are banking on there being way more growth ahead in devoting space in their stores to health care services than there is in competing in groceries, which is a pretty low margin business. Unless you have volume, it is a treadmill to try to keep growing selling groceries, and that category just stays perpetually crowded. CVS has already been transitioning. It has partnered with a ton of health systems and local hospitals to run its clinics in the last year, and it has been opening those clinics at a fast clip. When it reported earnings, the revenue from those clinics was giving them double digit growth already.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I can imagine the boardroom...

"...we'll take the tobacco off the shelves but let's keep the candy and sugar. In fact, let's offer more of those product. Those are high-profit impulse buys. Years later, we can get that same consumer on diabetes supplies. By then, they'll be our loyal customers for decades."

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is a really wacky comparison.

Candy and sugar can be consumed in moderation to little or no negative effect. Many people overdo it, but doctors don't advise people "don't eat sugar EVER."

I'm not aware of any diet or health recommendation that allows a moderate amount of smoking.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

According to the NYT article in the first post, their plan is to expand their healthcare offerings, including the minute clinics in stores and offering employers prescription-drug benefits management. The numbers in the NYT article ($90 billion worth this year) far outweight ditching the tobacco.

I wonder if their stores in Colorado sell marijuana.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There isn't one. Some people are just desperate to support smoker's rights and they will stand by any argument they can find.

Draft saved Draft deleted