1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CVS stops selling tobacco products

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 3, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

CVS Health is the 12th-largest company in the world, with a profit of $10.4 billion in the most recent reporting year. But that was before they got to be all namby-pamby wusses, so yeah they'll probably close up shop tomorrow.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Why do I see some marketing genius turning "we don't sell cigarettes" into a sales point? And it'll probably work in some corners.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's what I've been getting at, wondering if that is what drove the move in the first place. Maybe it is a combination of trying to do the right thing and using it as a sales point.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

They probably did the math and realized that pulling out of cig sales would have no impact on the bottom line. Because they probably don't sell that much anyway and tobacco tends to be the product most likely to be shoplifted.

It also has to be an expensive product to stock. I don't smoke and don't really care if others do but I noticed on my last trip to the drug store that it was the entire back wall. Fifty different brands of cigs, Skoal, chewing tobacco, various brands of cigarillos and such.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If it means I don't have to stand in line behind someone buying cigarettes, I'm all for it.

I can't imagine how much of my life has burned away waiting while someone goes, "Can I get a pack of Marlboros? ... no, the hard pack ... no the red ones ... no the 100s."

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This isn't remotely correct ...

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1000079

These probably were not trivial considerations. The business processes involved -- ID regulations, loss prevention requirements, etc. -- likely are fairly expensive. If the profit margins of tobacco (at retail) are fairly narrow, it could easily be the case that there are plenty of alternate (and equally or more-profitable) uses of a store's square footage.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

$1.7 billion with a B in annual tobacco sales is no small penny.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And usually they follow up with a complex mega ball lotto purchase.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sales schmales ...

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Forbes:

Point being it will be interesting to see how "healthcare company" recoups the B.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The timing is interesting. Maybe they did not want to see their
    clerks assaulted over Swisher Sweet's

Draft saved Draft deleted