1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CVS presses workers for medical information

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's an intriguing question, Baron.

Aside from the stories in the newspapers that CVS got caught lying, which will likely lead to some of its customers deciding to shop elsewhere, and the negative effect on the stock price, which will piss off shareholders, who might decide to hold management accountable. ... oh, and the lawsuits from its employees, which will put the company at risk of a lot of civil liability and monetary damages. ... well, aside from those things, yeah, why not lie and risk the consequences of getting caught?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But just from posts on this thread the request seems more commonplace than the story let on.

3. The Big Ragu

I'm not following you, Boom.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Some folks on this thread said that their employers are doing exactly what CVS is asking their employees to do. Times article made it sound like this was something new.

5. The Big Ragu

Who said CVS was doing anything novel?

I was responding to these posts suggesting that CVS is lying when it says that it is using a third-party administrator and that it won't have access to its employees' health records.

You can't tell your employees they can have health insurance at a lower rate if they submit to these exams and pass along the results, and ensure them that the the company will never have access to the results. ... and then turn around and GET access to the results.

If you do that, and get caught:

1) You have a serious lawsuit on your hands from the employees that you defrauded.
    2) A host of problems with the Federal government regarding your labor practices (at least I would imagine so).
    3) A giant PR headache that is ultimately going to hurt your brand.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I asked about CVS' reputation because I once heard someone say, in passing, that the company is despicable. But he didn't elaborate, and I didn't get the chance to follow up.

Maybe that is a limited view, though. I've never heard good or bad about CVS otherwise.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Could CVS not reach fairly obvious conclusions from the rates charged to a given employee for health insurance, given that it's the one that has to carry out the withholdings?

8. The Big Ragu

When you administer a health insurance plan, they don't go person-by-person, try to determine that person's risk factor, and then charge a variable rate. They charge a group rate, based on the size of your group.

What CVS is facing is that the provider of their insurance is telling the company that it will charge them less if they can get employees to go through biometric health screenings, so they can take the results and devise wellness plans that might reduce the overall risk for the group.

In the past, CVS tried not to use a stick and make it into a carrot instead, by offering a discount if you went through a health screening. That didn't induce enough people. Premiums are hitting the company hard, so apparently they decided to make it into more of a stick, by turning it from a discount if you do participate to a penalty if you don't participate.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

If they drug tested at my job, there'd be 100 people left (out of probably 500 in my dept) the next day.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

People in the healthcare industry take things like confidentiality AMAZINGLY seriously. For a Pharm company to breach confidentiality, that would be a HUGE blackeye for the company. Much worse than, say, if McDonalds did the same thing.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm surprised that isn't the case already. Wonder how many places do pre-employment drug testing?

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I never knew you were a cop

Draft saved Draft deleted