1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CVS presses workers for medical information

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I should have known better than to make a "fat" comment on a journalism board.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Beneath the lumpy veneer, fat people are sensitive.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's your attitude of fuck everyone but me since this doesn't directly affect me. People like you destroy America.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I know it's sacrilege here in Rhody to criticize CVS, but this is ridiculous. Even the state's top conservative talk radio host thought so, and found himself arguing with shrill harpies claiming CVS is doing the right thing.
    I want to ask these harpies: Would you be so rah-rah if a prospective employer demanded to know your weight on a job interview? Or a prospective date?

5. The glucose test is pretty silly to do. It won't tell you much unless it's a few hours after a meal or if it's a fasting test.

As for the screening, are employees instructed to go to a doctor if their numbers are out of whack? I can see the benefit of that. Much cheaper to get treatment early on to try to avert complications down the line.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm not saying that's not true. But that's not the reason for it.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hey, why care about employees' health when you can just weed out the "losers" ...

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unless they are lying (and I suppose they could be, but you'd think they wouldn't set themselves up for a backlash of bad PR by lying over something like this), CVS will have no access to the workers' personal health care records. All the data will be kept private by a third-party administrator, WebMD.

Their rationale for the tests is to light a fire under their workers to take more responsibility for being healthier and managing health costs. It seems likely that is the motivation, because it has become ridiculously costly for employers to insure their workers.

It's true that it's dicey, in that there is no way to verify that CVS doesn't really look at anybody's info, and to make certain that the program isn't about "weeding out the losers."

But does that really seem likely? And even if that is a legit fear, shouldn't there actually be evidence that they are doing that before assuming it is so?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think this is an issue that's going to cut neatly along Conservative/Liberal lines.

Overweight people of all political stripes are going to be against it, just as all kinds of smokers are usually against anti-smoking laws.

And, I guess the maybe the question isn't so much "fair" as it is "inevitable"?

If you want someone else to pay for your healthcare, they're going to want you to be healthier, or pay more for coverage.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What is CVS' reputation in Rhody as a company and as an employer?

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Large.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tell that to the baseball players whose steroid tests have leaked out.

Draft saved Draft deleted