1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutting the (cable) cord

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by goalmouth, Jan 24, 2021.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I need to get a good antenna. Mine would be a little more than this because I shell out for the highest internet package and have a few others (Showtime and Starz), but I could cut another $60 or so off my monthly costs with the right antenna. The one I have now gets all our local stations except the ABC affiliate, which of course is the one my wife likes to watch when she's getting ready for work every morning.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We are going to not be happy with the loss of regional Fox channels when baseball starts.
    The one loss I've had with Hulu is Weather Channel during hurricane season.
    There is a channel called Weather Nation, but it's to Weather Channel what store brand nacho cheese snacks are to Doritos.

Wenders and maumann like this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My cable/internet is $191, includes HBO and Showtime along with hundreds of random channels I never watch until I'm shitfaced on a Friday night (MTV Classic!). Again, I like the idea of going full streaming, but the cost savings isn't worth it for me.

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I cut the cord years ago and use Usenet for everything. $22 a year for the bandwidth. The best decision I've ever made.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I switched internet providers recently from Spectrum to AT&T, saving $40 a month and getting HBOMax for free. There's so much stuff there that I could almost ditch all my other streaming subscriptions ... if I could give up live sports.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

We also have four TVs. Unsure if cable charges for extra TVs anymore.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's a good point. I only have one TV set up. I could set up a second one, but I don't like having a TV in the bedroom. I'm sure it would be more expensive to add another box to the mix.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

This is exactly my story. We had to go back to cable with Cox in order to watch our local hockey team and baseball (when it starts). We already had Cox for Internet and land line telephone, so now we can bundle, which we couldn't before. We just did it a few weeks ago. The first bill is outrageous, but probably has some installation charges. Somehow, we now have 5 TVs for the three of us. Four connections came in the main installation. There was some fee for the fifth.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

the old headbanger's ball videos on that channel have driven my wife to the upstairs tv on more than one occasion

before her, there was the metal - unyielding, unbending, uncompromising, and eternal

later

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I thought we'd be watching more TV once we went into lockdown. Nope. We dip into the Food Network shows on Hulu and I watch the leotard Supes and Star Wars stuff on Disney. We have Prime for quick ships of buckwheat noodles and other life necessities as well as The Boys. Cutting cable meant losing Fox Sports South, so I may go ahead and spring for Center Ice this year. That and ESPN+ will serve me quite well for all of my weirdo niche sports needs. If Disc+ has the programming from FitTv and Planet Green to stream, I might add that.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you are trying for the Preds specifically, make sure you aren’t getting blacked out by Center Ice. If you just want a variety of games but don’t need access to everything, ESPN-Plus has two NHL games per night.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I use a VPN, so it might get around the blackout. If not, it's mitigated by me being a long-time Caps and Red Wings fan raised by a Bruins fan. I am still unreasonably happy about the 2018 Stanley Cup win. 'Scuse me while I go pour a forty for Trotzy, Sasha, and Holtby.

Draft saved Draft deleted